Grilling Atlantic Blue Crab?

JBaker

TVWBB Super Fan
Good friend of mine just passed papers on a house at Cape Cod. There should be some good crabbing nearby, I've not done it in over 30 years but I'm sure it's like riding a bike.

Best way to cook Atlantic Blue Crabs over a grill? I've tried searching the forums, not too much out there. Seems to be more threads on west coast spiders...

There was a thread that spec'd out smoking them (due to the smoker already being set up for another use). I could certainly try that.

Any advice for going direct / indirect on the grill? Ir is it better to steam, in the usual manner?

House is almost beachfront, with rights. South side of the Cape, should be good for stripers and blues. More questions undoubtedly to come...

IMG_4073.jpg

Hey JB, check out this site http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php. It has tons of crabbing information and I am sure you can find some spots up by your friend's house. Just make sure you know the laws for the area regarding what size you can keep. Also, in the recipe area there are directions on how to grill them. Looks like you live clean them and then throw them on the grill basting with butter and old bay. Hope this helps.

Where on The Cape? I have family, and my parents have a condo, in Chatham. Ocean side, at the elbow. Where all the great whites are spotted now.

The house is in the Mashpee area, near South Cape Beach Reserve. I was down there a couple of days ago getting some things to the house, did some scouting around to see where the good spots might be. Long way away from the time I'll be actually crabbing.

I've seen the live clean, grill routine. Also the steam. All looks to be somewhat standard.

Found some sites that have people that will promise to come and find you if you do anything with the crabs prior to cooking. No garlic, no wine, no butter, no Old Bay. I'll certainly try to keep a low profile.

Back