Grilled unicorn wings

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
Tried grilling wings for the first time Sunday night. Didn't get any pics, because my apparently famished family would not wait until I could get them plated and take a picture for the forum. Therefore, this cook did not happen, so I might as well have grilled unicorn wings. Guess that is a testament to how good they were!
icon_biggrin.gif

I was inspired by a pic from the photo gallery, where a new user had grilled wings over direct heat to sear, then stacked them for indirect cooking. Usually I will deep fry or bake wings, but grilling gives an added dimension of flavor to wings that you can't get by cooking them in other ways. I put them over glowing hot coals, which started a flare up before I could get them all on the grill. I stopped adding the wings, put the lid on and closed the vents for a couple of minutes to get the fire to die down a little. Seven or eight wings had a slight char on one side from the flare up, which was softened and somewhat removed by saucing them with teriyaki glaze on one batch while still on the grill, and hot sauce on the stove for the rest. My wife said she could not tell that they were burned and was concerned that I might have thrown them away, but I didn't.

All in all, I'd say that grilling wings is fairly quick, very easy & taste great! I will definitely grill wings in the future.

Glad they were good if it really happened.
icon_wink.gif
I pretty much do my wings exclusively on the kettle now. I also found that I just clip the wing tips but leave the two other pieces together. 1/2 the flipping.

I toss the wings in oil, usually canola, and add my rub to them then cook them indirect on my kettle at about 400-425 degrees. They get nice and crispy in about 1/2 an hour or so. Last 10 minutes I sauce them so they aren't to gooey when you eat them. I like using whole wings but can rarely get them, all our stores cut them up.

The wings I found were $8/4 lbs. frozen @ Kroger. They were pre-cut 1st & 2nd sections, and appeared to be larger than the whole wings I usually get, and don't require any cutting. I do like the idea of first & second sections together and may have to try that in the future.

I thaw them in a bowl of warm water, dry with paper towels & sprinkle on seasoning - Tony Chacherie's for hot and lemon pepper for teriyaki. Sometimes they are eaten before they get sauced, as grilled wings with just a little seasoning are fantastic on their own.

Bob - I spritz with spray canola oil to help the seasoning stick & I think it helps them brown up & get a little crispier. Any way you do them, they are good on the grill!

Jim,

Lately when I have been cooking a large batch of wings, I have been going with a similar sear then indirect method I got from Alton.

With a chimney of lit, sprinkle the CC around the kettle in a O/ring leaving an empty 9" or so circle in the middle of the grate with no CC. Make sure the ring is pretty even so you don't have hot spots. Start adding the wings at 12 o'clock all the way around the ring. As soon as the first wings are seared, start flipping around the ring until they are all flipped. Once the 2nd side is seared, stack the wings in the middle section and throw the lid till done.

Works great for cooking a lot of wings at once.

That's a great idea, Josh. Thanks for sharing! I have done the reverse (emptying the CC chimney in the middle & leaving the edges open) for larger quantities of burgers, boneless chicken breasts, etc. and that works pretty well for things that cook quickly over high heat. I will definitely give this a try. I may try the coffee can idea in the middle like I do in the WSM to keep the center open.

Back