Grilled Corn on the Cob

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
Anyone have a good method for grilling corn on the cob? I have tried many different methods and recipes with mixed degrees of success. Some just soak in water then throw on the grill, others take out the silk and brush with butter after soaking. I even tried one that wrapped to corn in romaine lettuce leaves. Don't ask me why I didn't realize that leaving the husk on would do the same thing. Thanks for all the help.

I've tried soaking in water with some sugar mixed in, without sugar, cleaned (silk), and grilled just as is. I think it really comes down to the corn itself. If you have good corn, the natural flavor and sweetness will come out. These days, I just soak and grill it straight. Unfortunately, I'm not in a good corn region so I'm at the mercy of what my supermarket has to offer. When I get a hold of good corn, it's hard to mess it up.

I don't soak or silk the corn; I just rip off the exposed silk at the end. I strip off most leaves, leaving just the interior layer. This layer protects the corn--just enough, to me--at the early stages of grilling but dries and recedes, exposing some kernels and thus allowing them to caramelize. When done, both the leaves and the silk, since they are so dry, pull off effortlessly.

We rip off everything and put the bare kernals (on the cob) over a hot (not too hot, remember it's sugar and can burn) grill. After about 10 minutes or so, the kernals should be soft and some of them should turn a brownish color (I actually like it to be black). I like to add some lime juice, salt and chili pepper.

Erik

Paul you do live in good corn country. It's about the easiest thing to grow. Just sow the seeds and fertilize when you see them sprout, when it gets to over a foot and again as the ears appear (going from memory so I could be off a bit). I use a combination of fish & seaweed liquid fertilizer that I spray on with the garden hose attachment you get at the store. I have yet to experience any problems with pests over the last 2 years. The problem I had this year was too much rain at the wrong time. I did not get full pollination of the ears because it rained everyday once the silks appeared. I was eating corn right off the stalks.

I just throw it straight on the grill. The peaches and cream variety is pleantiful around here. I grill it for about 20 minutes and it steams in the natural packaging!

I like so pull the husks back and coat with a mixture of garlic butter, then roll the wet corn in fresh parmesan (thick coating). Then pull the husks back over the corn.

Repeat the coating of the garlic butter/parmesan several times until the corn is ready.

It is really good this way.

Back