Grill TriTip Tonight

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
So tonight I did tri-tip and indirect cooking for the first time on my kettle. I wanted to share my learnings that may help others just learning charcoal.

I did one with the tequilla lime recipe here and one with just fresh cracked pepper, salt, and garlic powder. My ususal steak seasoning. Both were very good and hard to pick a favorite.

For the indirect, I used around 1/2 lit in my weber chimney. My learning was that while that was enough heat, after 50 min indirect, I didn't have enough left for searing with. I think next time I will I will add the 1/2 lit onto another 1/2 unlit to carry me through.

Anyone else have experiences on charcoal set up to share?

Jeff, I usually sear first, then go indirect, that way I know that I have enough heat. I always just use a full chimney for every cook unless it is something small like burgers, then I use a half chimney. I try not to add fuel if I have to because of the temperature decrease, then waiting for it to get back up to temp again. Just my experience and opinion.

If you would like to enjoy your tri-tip sooner than 50 minutes, you can slice it into steaks about an inch and a quarter thick, season with celery salt, granulated garlic and onion powder. Cook direct over a full lit chimney and they should be good to go in about nine minutes thereabout if you like medium rare. I don't like to let it get any more done than that as it gets tougher and loses flavor quickly beyond medium rare.Flip once about halfway through the cook.

Thanks Regina and Bob. I have been hearing alot about the after searing and must say I like the results. I did get a sear as I hit it with the gasser
icon_smile.gif

The 50 min wasn't bad as I was doing baked potatoes at the same time.

I do think next time I will go with a full chimney lit and see what happens with that.

Hello from Mtka. I did a tri-tip the same day on my 3 burner gasser. Cooked indirect with the center burner off until I got to 124 +/- then rested it a bit while the vegies and corn finished. Turned on the afterburners on all three for a final quick sear (1.5 min each side) and it was super. Tried the Lawry's Balsamic Herb marinade for the first time. Good stuff!

Hey Jeff,

When I do Tri-Tip I prefer to do the reverse sear method also. I usually go with about 1/2 chimney started and 1/2 unlit. But I usually just fill the chimney, start the coals, then when I can see the amount of coals are lit that I want I'll dump it in and let it go from there. Then I adjust the vents to get me into the temps I want. With this approach I haven't had the need to add more coals yet.

The temps are the main reason I dont go with the sear and then cook approach. Its too difficult to get the temps back down after bringing them up to sear temp.

Back