Griddle Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrel Williams

TVWBB Super Fan
I'd like to have an outdoor griddle. I have looked for one to suit my needs, but havn't found the perfect 22 cast iron circle to fit into my 22.5 OTGs.

So here is my idea. A particular sporting goods/camping store sells griddles in various sizes, including 18x24 and 15x32. THese are heavy steel with 3 inch walls on the left side, right side, and back side. On the front, there is a grease "trough" (drip tray). They are made to sit on portable propane gas stoves.

Do you think it would work to put one of these over an 18.5 OTG? Or perhaps 2 Smokey Joes?

I think it would be a challenge to put keep the griddle raised high enough to let oxygen keep the coals going, yet low enough to absorb the heat from the coals without letting heat slide out the side between the top grate and griddle bottom. Then, of course, you have the challenge to control the heat using the amount of coals.

Has anyone ever tried this?

There's an outfit that sells cast iron grates for the weber kettle....they have a griddle option for 25% of the surface ...but you could increase to 50%, 75% or 100%
icon_smile.gif
Just Google Weber Kettle Cast Iron Grates... or for about the same $$$ you could buy the Weber Q grill and the griddle accessory
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hello Darrel, Lodge also makes a nice one that I've been considering. I have the Lodge bbq grate and love it. What are you planning on cooking on the griddle that you can't cook on the grill itself? Just lookinh for ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back