Greetings from Toronto Canada!!

P.Rizzo

Hello everyone my name is Pat and I’m from Toronto Canada. I now own a Weber Platinum I 1200 that I picked up from a neighbour who no longer used it. I really lucked out he gave me this beauty for free! It needs a little bit of work but overall not bad at all! Excited to start my first restoration and glad I found this place to start that journey. I’ve already replaced the burners inside now just waiting on new flavorizer bars. The bottom shelves on this unit are in the worst shape the z bars are completely rusted out so any ideas on alternatives for those would be great! Thanks in advance everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpeg
    IMG_0103.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Welcome. Nice platinum.

At the top of the gas grill forum is a sticky post with a wealth of good info.

Welcome. Nice platinum.

At the top of the gas grill forum is a sticky post with a wealth of good info.

Thank you so much I really appreciate it!

The bottom shelves on this unit are in the worst shape the z bars are completely rusted out so any ideas on alternatives for those would be great! Thanks in advance everyone!
There is a gentleman that makes stainless steel replacement z bars for these grills. I'll post a link if you are interested.Screenshot_20240525-164545.png

So yesterday I did an initial inspection to get the ball rolling on this project. So far here is my to do list for repairs:

1. Bottom crossbar needs replacing its completely rusted out on one side.
2. Cross bar support for fire box. Not sure if its salvageable but ill have to see when I sand it down.
3. Bottom racks need new z bars and new wood. Also debating to replace with accessory rack (doubt ill find one)
4. Side rack durawood needs replacing as wood is warped.

Either than that everything else will look amazing after a fresh paint job!

@Steve Hoch if you wouldn't mind telling me what wood and stain you used for yours I'd appreciate it I really like that look! The handle doesn't seem like its wood so would the process be the same for staining it? And as always, I really appreciate everyone's input!!

IMG_0106.jpegIMG_0108.jpegIMG_0107.jpeg

if you wouldn't mind telling me what wood and stain you used for yours I'd appreciate it I really like that look! The handle doesn't seem like its wood so would the process be the same for staining it?
My grill originally had the plastic slats and handle just like yours does. I decided I wanted to have a more old school look and went with mahogany for replacement slats and new handle. Here is what I used to finish them:Screenshot_20240425-203736.pngScreenshot_20230921-061532.png

IMG_0129.jpegIMG_0128.jpegIMG_0122.jpegI’m working on sanding down the frame today and cutting off one cross bar on the left that holds the box and the bottom bar at the base of the frame. The bottom one has been replaced with a square tube I picked up at Home Depot. I used angle brackets and self tapping screws to hold it in place. I plan to do the same for the fire box cross bar. As you can see in the pictures, the rear of the frame where the fire box sits looks that. I’m nervous to sand down any more. It doesn’t feel corroded however I don’t want to take chances. Any suggestions on the best way to polish that smooth? Thanks

Hello everyone it’s been awhile. I don’t know if I’m posting in the right place or not. This thread has been quiet for quite some time. Anyways I wanted to thank you all again for the welcome and the info provided. My project is done and I think she looks great, Cheers everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 36
Hi Everyone.

Got my first kettle 21 years ago and my 18" WSM just over 13 years ago. Charcoal bowl rusted out on the WSM, but just received replacement parts and looking forward to next 13 years. Saw the holes and almost bought a pellet-smoker from Costco, but called Weber and found the prices for replacement parts to be very reasonable. Going to put it into action and have some ribs before Game 7.

Been lurking on these forums for years, getting recipes and tips. Thank you all.

Back