Grate for a Weber Spirit E-210 - what's the deal?

j bechle

Hey all!

Just got my first Weber grill and I'm a bit confused about the grate. Home Depot and Lowes had the grates in the displays with the glossy triangular side up.

This seemed odd to me, so I called Weber to find out for sure which way it goes, and the rep said that the stores had them all installed incorrectly and that the flat side should be up.

I thought the case was settled... until my father-in-law was over yesterday and told me that the glossy triangular side should be facing up. He's the kind of guy that can build or fix just about anything, and I figured he'd know his way around a grill, as he's from rural Maine.

So... which way, is the right way???

Triangle up, otherwise I think they would just collect juices and never sear with all that moisture. They are the porcelain stamped thick sheet metal ones yeah? I had those then I switched to uncoated cast iron ones and I'll never look back. I think they make coated cast iron ones, they would be real heavy, and you may have those. If so, triangle side up too. Gives you thinner grill marks and more radiant heat as opposed to a large surface area of hot metal touching the meat. More chance to burn when it's like that.

Last edited:
well, i would assume that weber would know better than yer fil. that being said, you can do whatever depending on the marks you want.

I have a Cuisinart gas grill that has a similar setup. There is actually no right way to position the grate. However, I turn it triangle side up for steaks to get the thinner grill marks. For burgers and chicken, I use the flat side; it is easier to flip the meat without tearing it. I don't know if this design was intentional but it does provide some versatility.

Back