Grate confusion

chris comer

TVWBB Super Fan
Guys I am somewhat confused on cooking grates for the Genesis. I purchased one from CL about a month ago and it came with what I would describe as a cheap grate. Today I found one for a friend on CL and it has heavy cast iron grates. When I look on-line all I see a PCCI, are there also standard non coated CI grates for these grills? What would be the part number and were would you get them? Is there any real benifit to either PCCI or standard CI? Thoughts?

My Silver B came with the porcelain coated steel grates - those probably are the ones you're talking about. I bought a set of PCCI - porcelain coated cast iron - grates for my Genesis shortly thereafter. I THINK that there also is a stainless steel grate for the Genesis.

I think I got my PCCI grates on eBay, but Weber sells them. Call the custoemr service number and give them the make of your grill and they can hook you up.

I definitely recommend the PCCI grates. They get hot and hold their heat well and give terrific grill marks and are easy to clean.

Pat

The PCI grates used to be a Home Depot exclusive I believe.

Beware also - there are different stainless grates. The "standard" grates are a kind of curved metal - either coated steel or stainless steel.
Then there are the (more expensive) grates made of stainless rod. I think these are really made for another series of grills but they fit the Genesis B and C. They come in 1/4" and (very) heavy 3/8"
Heavy stainless grates on ebay

I believe you can get stainless grates at Grillfloss.com too

Chris,

I bought my Genesis Sliver A about 7 years ago and it was equipped with the standard Weber curved stainless grates.
My wife bought me cast iron replacement grates from Weber for Christmas this year and I love them.

Weber no longer makes the naked CI grates. They are PCCI now.

I have had PC, SS and PCCI. The standard PC grate did not last long. They didn't fair well with the high heat very long. The SS grates were better, but not much. I like the PCCI grates from Home Depot the best. Got some for Christmas too. The PCCI seem to provide better sear marks and a quicker recovery.

I thought Weber had discontinued the PCCI grates a few years ago. Nice to know they're still around. I have the older bare cast iron grates and would hate to have to switch back to the lighter weight ones if they every need replacing.

That's why I like to stock pile "extras" of important things like grates, and grills, and smokers, and charcoal, and meat and - well, you get the picture!

Pat

Back