got My New DigiQ DX and,,,

R Lin

...I'm scared to use the thing. You see, I consider myself a Smoker Noob. Granted, I have been cooking ribs now for going on 10 years, but never properly with an actual smoker. So I went out and got a WSM 22.5. I have 3 smokes under my belt, and I have never had better ribs. After the 2nd smoke, I felt it was time to get myuself a DigiQ. Well, I just got done playing with it and I am not entirely comfortable with it. I have company coming over tomorrow and I really don't want to risk ruining 4 Full Racks of ribs because I want to play with my new toy. But the other half of me says, how badly could I screw it up with the DigiQ? I dunno. Right now I am thinking about going without the new DigiQ and waiting for a weekend when I have no one else eating my food but my Family.

Question. The Pit Probe. Should I just hang it through my door into the WSM? I will not be using the food probe until I get confident enough to use it on the proper piece of meat.
icon_smile.gif

The DigiQ works properly when you use both the Pit Probe and the food probe in tandem. Stick the food probe in your meat and hook the alligator clip for the pit probe to the end of the food probe. The nearer the meat the better. Set your temps on the pit and for the meat and let the DigiQ do the rest. It will ramp down the temp of the pit as your meat gets done.

After reading through the instructions that came with the DX, I was under the impression that I can use just the Pit Probe as long as I don't have the Food Probe connected while I initially plug the Unit in. Anyone else use just the Pit Probe?

That's what I'm going to be doing today. Going with just the Pit Probe. I'll post after my smoke today. Wish me luck!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Yes, you can certainly just use the pit probe to monitor and maintain the temp. Clip it to the grate (near the food) and not at the edge for more accurate temp readings.

Back