Getting a nice HOT bed of coals going....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Janson

What's your method for getting a nice hot bed of coals going?

I'm cooking up some ribeyes tonight and want to get a good sear on both sides, then move them off to indirect to cook through a bit.

Suggestions?

I would recommend a charcoal chimney to get it all ablaze, or use a weed burner until nearly everything is lit on the side that you have the coals. Dont skimp on charcoal, and leave all the vents top and bottom wide open.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich Janson:
What's your method for getting a nice hot bed of coals going?

I'm cooking up some ribeyes tonight and want to get a good sear on both sides, then move them off to indirect to cook through a bit.

Suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Leave the lid OFF.

You can get a good sear by building it. There is no need to have a blazing hot bed of charcoal going. (In fact in can be counterproductive - just look at all the pics of charred-black steaks hither and yon.)

Searing does NOT 'seal in flavor' or 'seal in juices' - or any of the other nonsense one reads all over the place. You can simply build up the sear (i.e., caramelization of the surface); no need to do it in seconds. The steaks 'need' high, high heat is yet another grilling myth.

It's how I like to do my steaks. The more time you spend over direct heat, the more cooked through they are going to be. I prefer to give mine a good sear/near char on the outside, then move them to indirect heat to get them to the desired doneness if needed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich Janson:
I've seen that mentioned a few times and saw Alton Brown do an episode on it. I'm very intrigued. Anyone ever try it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JimK did this a couple of months back.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...71078595/m/320104907

As in other posts I ended up getting ash and particles on the steak. I got s ome firebrick from Ace for $20 to use for indirect setup in the kettle but also use them to elevate the charcoal grate to sear steaks.

I put some bricks on the kettle charcoal grate. On top of the bricks put another charcoal grate--I used the one from my WSM or you could buy a second one. Put the coal grate closer to one side to leave a safe zone for indirect finishing. Dumped a chimney of lit coal on the elevated grate, spread it out and put the top grate on. The coal was about an inch under the top grate but you could build it up right under the grate if you want to. I'll take some pics next time but you get the idea.

I open up the vents fully. I light a full chimney or lump/Stubbs and dump them on the grate. Then once that's hot, I put another layer of unlit coals on top.

I leave the lid off so the fire can get HOT.

This will get you a 600+ degree fire on the Kettle.

Once I start cooking I use the lid, and the temp stays around 600 degrees or so.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back