German Schwenker Swinging Grill

I have one of these that I brought back from Germany. It really doesn't get much use with because of my other grills plus it is really time consuming compared to using charcoal. Building the open fire takes a good bit of time because you really need to allow it to build a good bed of coals to provide consistent heat to go along with the flames from the burning wood. The swinging motion allows the hot searing flames of the burning wood to do their magic without burning the meat but you really need a consistent heat to go with it. I use it to make Spiessbraten which was very popular large pork loin steak in the area around Idar-Oberstein where I spent a lot of time. I just wish I had a good source of beech wood because oak and hickory just doesn't give it the same flavor.

Last edited:
I saw a cheaper version of the one that Rita linked to at Menard's (like HD or Lowe's). It was set up on a tri-pod and called a "Campfire-Grill" It looked like toilet so I passed.. But the one posted made me think of the old kiddy rockers I used to set the boys in when they where crabby. Just crank up the handle, and it would rock back and forth till they fell asleep.
If they offered one of those mods, that would be cool, cause you would just let the meat go the same.

Tim

Thanks Rita. As Don posted, I saw a lot of these rigs when I was in the Army in Germany. I too was near Idar Oberstein (Hoppstadten Army Airfield - west of Baumholder). We often went to Idar for the Speissbratten. Wonderful times.
Don - when were you there and where were you posted? I was there from 1961 thru 1964.

Ray

We did a similar setup in my "scout" years...A tri footed "held the pan/wok" thingy all in wood. So simple i cant even get some pics of it. But it works wounders.

Ray and others - I was stationed in Idar-Oberstein twice. Once from 1978-1981 and then again from 1995-1998. Also spent a tour in Baumholder from 1993-1995. Needless to say, I ate a lot of Spiessbraten during that time. I got to be very good friends with the owner of the Im Haag Restuarant and he gave me some tips on how to make it. Have come close to being able to replicate it here, but nothing beats the real thing. The recipe is actually very simple. The key is allowing it to marinade all day using really strong onions to impart that flavor in the meat. The open fire and swinging grill is part of it, but the single biggest piece is the use of beech wood. I had some in the past, but my supply has dried up.

"Ray and others - I was stationed in Idar-Oberstein twice."

Don,

I hope you enjoyed the area as much as I did. I went there during the Berlin crisis and the Army would not move dependents, so I had my wife brought over myself and we lived on "the economy". Since dependents were not allowed, we did not qualify for on post housing.

That turned out to be a good thing as we rented an apartment above a wonderful German family. We became friends and I even visited them 26 years later. I also spent many hours on the Mosel enjoying their vino.

Ray

Back