Genesis on a porch - safe?

Colbert Cannon

I keep my Genesis in the garage normally, but was thinking about moving it to a porch on the side of the house. My question relates to smoke marks - the porch is covered, and the "ceiling" / roof is about 8 or 9 feet above the ground - my concern is that if I grill / smoke regularly on the porch that I'll stain the ceiling? Is that a legit concern, or am I worrying too much?

Thanks in advance?

Colbert, it's good to have you join the board! Welcome!

The top of my Genesis gasser is located 6 feet partially under an unenclosed 4 1/2-foot roof overhang on our wooden deck. I've been cooking in the same spot for 20 years or more and don't see any darkening of the ceiling. The grill is exposed to air currents, and we don't often get really windy conditions here. I'll add that I don't usually grill very fatty meats, which I save for my WSM, which is on another part of the deck, totally under the same overhang - about 7 feet from the top of the WSM. There is no smoke on the underside of the overhang there either. Note that I've been smoking for about 7 years but don't smoke as often as I'd like and as often others here do. I do several 4-butt smokes a year, though.

Rita

Back