Genesis 1000 Red Head Restoration

GeorgeMeadal

Hey everyone, I've been working on disassembling my Genesis 1000 (in between dealing with Hurricane Ian and ordering parts needed to bring this grill back to life.
I have a question about the fire box and what seems to be plastic welded? to the side...picture to follow...Screenshot_20220920-205424_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Not much in my control at the moment so just taking it as it comes 8)... finally got that picture posted...see above. It looks like it was a piece of plastic that was between the side of the fire box and the frame. The piece I'm holding on place fell off when I was removing the fire box from the frame.
Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
Those grills are definitely built like a tank, practically indestructible. Are you holding that piece next to where it was glued on to the firebox?

That's not part of the grill. It may have gotten wedged down there somehow.
Thanks, I'll be scraping that all the way off before painting then.
I am really impressed with the way this grill was made and just how durable all the parts really are.
Those grills are definitely built like a tank, practically indestructible. Are you holding that piece next to where it was glued on to the firebox?
Yes, it's almost like someone wedged a piece of plastic in between the frame and fire box then it just melted there. I thought it was some kind of spacer that was intended. Guess not.

I can vouch for those handles, they are very well done! I have two, one on my grill and another as a spare. Mine are red oak, if you decide to get a wooden handle, I'd recommend replacing the durawood with the same kind of wood and you end up with a classic looking Red Head. You can stain and spar polyurethane the wood slats, do not use regular interior poly, use spar poly designed to get wet and UV protected.

Nice looking grill, you'll be able to get that back to one hundred percent with a couple bucks and a few weekends worth of work!

Back