Genesis 1000 and Silver Cookbox mounting bolts

John G (Boston)

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone,

Well I think I have figured out that none of the Genesis 1000 or Silver cookbox mounting bosses are actually threaded. The first few grills I started working on appeared to have the cookbox mounting bolt *threaded* into the aluminum casting - with no nut present. Then I found the old 1000 redhead and it had a bolt with a nut. The aluminum boss was clearly not threaded on this cookbox. I wrongly assumed the early ones had a nut and bolt, while the later ones were threaded directly into the aluminum.
Then I started reading through ALL of the Genesis manuals I could find and it seems they talk about a nut and bolt on the later non SWE Silver grills. So, out of the four grills that I have with rusted cookbox mounting bolts, there are NONE that show any sign of a nut - just a rusted off conical stump from the end of the bolt. My assumption here is that the nuts have dissolved away. On SWE grills they don't talk about the bolt since it was installed at the factory - so not sure on those. The exploded view does not show a nut on the SWE grills so ???

-John (Boston)

Hi John, the fireboxes attach to the frame with 1 bolt and nut attached to the frame on the 1000’s and genesis silver series

That said, they are usually rotted by now on most grills still around.

Newer genesis have a nut with aluminum casting around it. It seems like it’s threaded but it is not.

Hi John, the fireboxes attach to the frame with 1 bolt and nut attached to the frame on the 1000’s and genesis silver series

That said, they are usually rotted by now on most grills still around.

Newer genesis have a nut with aluminum casting around it. It seems like it’s threaded but it is not.
So breaking off and drilling out the bolt is not a bad thing on the Silvers since that's a pass through hole in the aluminum. Good to know. The newer Genesis you mention with the captive nut must be a pain when they corrode. I have not seen one of those yet...

-John (Boston)

Back