Gen 2 Performer questions

AndySo

TVWBB Member
I received a gen 2 performer locally and got it all cleaned up, replaced the gas assist with a new one and it fires up just fine. The bowl is decent but there are some rust spots on the outside near where the interior grate holding hooks are. I posted about this and was told to apply some oil to keep it from rusting further, which is fine to me. The lid I guess is an older style with the thermometer that goes through the hole in the top of the lid under the handle. The thermometer works in the manner that it rises with temperature, but it doesn't go to the correct ambient temp with everything off so I don't know how accurate it is.

However, I lucked on a master touch in much better condition overall. I'm thinking of swapping the lid with the one off the master touch since it has a better thermometer. Are there any fit issues with that? The master touch top looks to be shallower?

Lastly, what do you recommend as far as a true stainless gourmet bbq system cooking grid? The existing one I guess is chrome plated and appears to be rusting a bit. I'd like to fix it with a true stainless type but one that is the gourmet bbq system. It looks like the weber OEM type is just plated steel, and so are some of the other aftermarket ones on amazon.

The lid and bowls from all 22" kettles and Performers should all be interchangeable. Some of the kettles have those hooks inside the lid, which isn't needed on a Mastertouch or Performer. I haven't noticed older lids being deeper than newer ones, but it's possible.

I don't know anyone that makes a stainless steel GBS cooking grate for the 22" kettles. Pretty sure Weber makes one, but only sells it in the Europe market. Amazon might have some China sellers that make one, but I have not experience with those.

Hunsaker just started making one for the 26" kettle

KillaGrilla makes some very heavy duty SS grates, but they don't have the removable center.

When you are cooking with the GBS grate and have your charcoal in the center of the grill, remove the center grate. It'll help to keep it from wearing out as fast.

The lid and bowls from all 22" kettles and Performers should all be interchangeable. Some of the kettles have those hooks inside the lid, which isn't needed on a Mastertouch or Performer. I haven't noticed older lids being deeper than newer ones, but it's possible.

I don't know anyone that makes a stainless steel GBS cooking grate for the 22" kettles. Pretty sure Weber makes one, but only sells it in the Europe market. Amazon might have some China sellers that make one, but I have not experience with those.

Hunsaker just started making one for the 26" kettle

KillaGrilla makes some very heavy duty SS grates, but they don't have the removable center.

When you are cooking with the GBS grate and have your charcoal in the center of the grill, remove the center grate. It'll help to keep it from wearing out as fast.
Thanks, the gen 2 lid holder doesn't quite hold the lid at 90 degrees so having the internal hook kinda helps me just hook the lid on the holder if I have to. I got the lid cleaned up and once dry I'll put it on. I'm going to keep an eye out for a better condition bowl.

The gen 2 lid bale is kind of a pain, I totally agree. You can upgrade it to the newer style that tilts the lid back....
Weber part 65188

or you can get the Unknow BBQ hinge.

My primary cooker is a PK360 and one of my favorite features is the hinge....love having access to the entire grate and 1 handed operation.

Back