Gas Tank on Performer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan Stratton

TVWBB Fan
I lucked out and scored a lightly used Green Performer today. It is a DR date code so I think 2006. It came with a 5lb refillable cylinder. But the conection on the grill is what looks like for a throw away 1 lb tank. The 5 lb tank has a quick connect like fitting on it. Is there a hose thats missing? It didnt come with an owners manual. I bought it from a friend of mines mother in law. She didnt know much about it. I guess my question is how do I get this thing going. The 5 lb. tank seems full I just cant hook it up.

Well, it sounds like they have another one stashed in the garage somewhere, and perhaps they sold the wrong one!

Here's why: The Performer was redesigned for the 2005 model year, with two major changes: The older stainless steel table was changed to a plastic thermoset table, and the propane was changed from the 5 lb refillable to a 1 lb disposable bottle.

So, if you indeed have a 2006 model, it should have a plastic table, and use the 1 lb disposable propane bottles. If they gave you a 5 lb refillable, they may have had an older Performer w/ SS table, and maybe they were trying to sell the older one?

You might want to dig a little deeper!

However, there is a refit kit to connect the current (plastic table/disposable bottle) P to a 20 lb propane tank. Should be one of these, but I have the older SS Ps, so no firsthand experience. I don't know if this hose will connect to a 5 lb tank.

There are a few owners around here buying the SS Ps from CL, and in need of a replacement 5 lb tank. However, you can't ship the tank with propane in it, or across state lines. You will have to meet them to sell it.

Owner's Manual.

Either way, welcome to the Performer Club!

The 1995 SS Red performer I just bought has the quick connect fitting on the tank. The hose going to the grill has the male end for the QD on it. Look at my pictures in the post below and you can get an idea of what yours should be like.

Wayne

I thought the same thing that maybe they had an older one and had replaced it with this one. I dont mind using the disposable tanks. Will a camp stove type tank fit? or do i need like a torch tank? I wouldnt mind trying to get the 5 lb tank to work somehow.

That's a standard hose to connect to propane tanks, you don't have to buy a Weber one. Any place that sells propane tanks & hoses is likely to have them.

Get a hose that fits your tank and has the same end as the small disposable tank.

I'd want to hook up to a regular refillable tank. The disposable 1lb tanks cost $5 here, filling tanks costs less than $1/lb.

Check the tank they gave you for a date stamp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ivan Stratton:
I thought the same thing that maybe they had an older one and had replaced it with this one. I dont mind using the disposable tanks. Will a camp stove type tank fit? or do i need like a torch tank? I wouldnt mind trying to get the 5 lb tank to work somehow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either portable tank should work for you as they have the same fitting. Just make sure it propane and not MAP gas or such. The camping tanks are green and the longer tanks should be blue. I see that you have a Q100, it should use the same tank as that.

If you want to use the 5 pound tank use the hose that Shawn suggests, they can be had for about $15 bucks if you look around. But at that point, you might as well get the bigger 20 pound tank which should last you a good long time.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But at that point, you might as well get the bigger 20 pound tank which should last you a good long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>isn't that funny though, 20lb is the standard size, the further away you get from 20lb in either direction the more the price seems to go up

empty 20lb tanks are about $25 here, 10lb $40, 5lb $60

so that 5lb tank you got is more valuable than a 20lb

That's because the don't make as many of the odd sizes and can't amortize the costs. I wanted to get a bigger tank and decided to just get a bunch of 20 pounders instead.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doug ep:
There are a few owners around here buying the SS Ps from CL, and in need of a replacement 5 lb tank. However, you can't ship the tank with propane in it, or across state lines. You will have to meet them to sell it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm pretty sure that parcel shipping of an empty tank shouldn't be a problem. Cabela's and the like ship them all of the time.

If you find yourself wanting to get rid of the 5 pounder, please consider me first in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back