Gas grill pilot light and temp controller

Morrey Thomas

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a gas fired propane hog cooker set up on a trailer to pull behind my truck. As with any cooker of this type, it is a constant watch to ensure the gas valve is tweaked to keep constant temps.
I noted a new turkey fryer at Lowes that incorporates a pilot light and temperature controller module. I assume it will allow you to heat the oil to a desired temp, then cycle the fire on and off using a pilot light to maintain preset temps.
How difficult would this be for me to build/install a similar unit on my gas hog cooker? Would a unit like this be commercially available, and if so, where is a starting point to begin my research?

If it were me, I think that I would look towards controls for a gas OVEN instead of a turkey fryer. After all, you are asking for your pit to act just like an oven, and all of the research and design has already been done (many have UL approval!), instead of adapting a thermostatically controlled device that was intended for a liquid (the oil in the turkey fryer) to work in the air (your Hog Cooker).

Actually if it were me, I'd run my hog cooker on wood and charcoal, but that is NOT what you asked about.
icon_cool.gif

BOB

Morrey check out some of the home-brew sites like Home-Brewstuff.com, look under hardware then valves. They have 1/2 brass solenoid valves that us a PID control to open and close the valve, as long as you have a pilot lite you are good to go. Check out Auberins PID controls and you should have everything you need to run your hog cooker better than an oven.

Back