Garlic Bread (your method)

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I am seriously garlic bread challenged. I make it all the time, but am almost never happy with the results. I would really appreciate some help. Your recipes would also be welcomed.
icon_smile.gif

I just buy texas toast brand garlic bread and throw it on the indirect side of the grill until it's done.

Not always garlic but we make buttered/oiled/herbed/etc. toasted breads all the time on the grill. I usually do it while whatever meat we're having is resting.

If it was a long cook (coals almost spent), I do it directly over the coals, peeking often and turning/removing when it's the color I'm looking for.

If it was a short cook (coals still very hot), I do the same thing but at the edge of the coals...not really direct but not really indirect either.

The key is that you have to stay right there, watch it closely and not leave the grill. It goes from perfect to burned in an instant.

I saute minced garlic in bunch of butter until very lightly browned. I like the garlic best when cooked. Off the heat throw in a bunch of chopped parsley or whatever herbs your into. The bread, typically french or italian baguette is sliced length wise. Brush or pour on the garlic-herb butter. Close it up. Into a very hot oven or indirect side of the grill. Cook it until crispy. If I want the inside crispy, It's under the broiler or like Don says on the grill direct and watch it like a hawk.

I got this stuff @ Costco some time ago and it's pretty tasty. Just mix with some soft butter and you're good to go.

I use Johnny's Great Caesar all the time. It's great. Also got it at Costco. Sometimes I'll add a little minced garlic to it.

Bill

I soften a stick of butter and add finely chopped garlic & Italian herbs (McCormick I think) you can add parm cheese if you like. Split open a loaf of crusty bread and liberally apply to both sides. I make sure that I get plenty butter in there and I am a garlic head so how much garlic to use is up to you. It's been a hit with my family.

We cook garlic bread 3-4 times a week as a side dish. My wife usually uses a garlic butter (think the brand is Roberts)on any bread we may happen to have...sometimes buns, other times focacia, etc. Other times we have simply sprayed some Pam on the bread, sprinkled with garlic salt----suprisingly comes out pretty good. Cook over direct heat...watch close as burnage comes awfully quick.

I like to use roasted garlic. Cut the top off a head of garlic,drizzle w/some evo/ wrap in foil. Bake or grill indirect about an hour till soft, than squeeze it from the peels into some softened butter and what ever fresh minced herbs you have.
I like Greek oregano and thyme.
I use a pastry brush (cheap natural bristle paint brush) for the app and grill indirect till I like the color.

Tim

I guess that I should mention that I wrap it foil and throw it on the grill indirect. I don't grill my homemade only store bought.

I'm with Stefan, that stuff is foolproof.

I also like to just douse with EVOO and garlic powder, too. Grill indirect and sear to finish.

Melt butter with chopped garlic
Split loaf in half
Spoon garlic butter mixture on top
add chopped parsley and/or shredded cheese
Cook the halves separatly at around 300-350 indirect with the crust facing down on foil but not wrapped or without foil for grill marks on the crust
Cook until done maybe 10-15 mins

I'm a fan of really good crusty bread. A couple in our area are Acme's Sweet Batard or Long Italian. Sliced on the bias, covered in soften butter w/ minced garlic, and topped w/ shredded parmesan then broiled until golden brown and delicious.

A fresh loaf of French bread split in half. Half of a stick of real butter softened with 3 or 4 or 5 or.... cloves of pressed garlic or sometimes granulated garlic, Lawry's seasoning salt and usually some Italian seasoning. Butter cut side of both halves and place on indirect grill until crust is crispy and butter is melted. And some shredded cheese and remove bread when cheese is melted.

Always start with room temp butter...1 or 2 cloves minced garlic. Add some parsley and bring to a paste.

Almost always made out of french baguettes,cut like an Hasselback but thicker ofc.
icon_wink.gif

A little Garlic butter donwn in every cut,Roast indirect or in the oven untill golden.

Baguette split lengthwise, brush with olive oil, direct grill till brown. Cut raw garlic clove in half and rub cut end all over browned bread. Finish with salt and pepper and dried or fresh basil.

Back