Frozen bread dough for Pizza?

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
Been wanting to try to make pizza. Would that frozen bread work? Maybe let it thaw in fridge for a couple of days. I don't have a stone but have seen where people use the screens which I have.

Brian,I don't know if frozen bread would work. I think I'd even try some canned Pillsbury pizza dough before I tried bread dough. Or you could make your own. It's pretty easy!
As far as stones or screens,the first couple I made were just grilled! Cook on one side,flip and cook a little more. Remove the crust,top and put back on the grill indirect to finish cooking the crust and melt the cheese. Very easy to do!

You can try to ask any of your local pizzerias if they will sell you some of their dough.Most will do this. Frozen bread may work, but I agree it is not too hard to make your own. I usually go to a local bakery that sells pizza dough, or my local grocery store sells frozen pizza dough.

I usually make my own dough.

But when I don't, I get pre-made dough from Trader Joes. I think Whole Foods, and the larger Mega-Marts, also carry fresh dough.

Good call Regina! I totally agree. I have also found frozen dough will work. Don't worry, it's always good to practice. Pizzas have a learning curve and never come out the same way twice.
icon_wink.gif

I've used frozen dough with decent success. Pillsbury style in the roll works as well. But neither will lift into a tender crust very well. Even with a stone, they will be dense.

I now do my pies directly on a raised grate to help even out the crust/topping cooking times. But you can do it with no stone, no raised grate... just your main grate at the right temp. Just made my first dough yesterday and it's ready to be tried tomorrow. It's very easy to make and a lot cheaper than store-bought.

Thanks for the hints. I do have a bread machine. I tried making dough a while back and did not turn out very good. Will search through some differant recipes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Trommater:
Thanks for the hints. I do have a bread machine. I tried making dough a while back and did not turn out very good. Will search through some differant recipes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got mine from a friend at the Barbecue Source forums that he got from pizzamaking.com. Can't find the original link there, so I doubt Vindii would mind me reposting his post for you:

Bread Flour: 2 cups (246.76g)
Cold Water: 1/2 cup plus about 6 teaspoons (152.99g)
Instant Dry Yeast (IDY): 0.33 tsp
Salt: 0.77 tsp
Olive Oil: 0.55 tsp
Note: Dough is for a single 14" pizza

Mix flour and IDY in one bowl. Mix cold water, salt, and oil in another bowl until salt dissolves. Gradually add flour and mix until a ball forms. Once it balls together knead for 5-8 minutes by hand or machine. Lightly oil and put in a oiled bowl, cover and put in the fridge for 24 to 72 hours. Remove from the bowl and put on the counter covered with plastic wrap to rise for 1-2 hours before forming into pizza skin. Stretch by hand or roll to make a skin.

Harris Teeter carries the New York dough brand for 2-3$ a ball and they are pretty good. They come frozen.
I also buy them from non chain pizza places. Just ask for them, I've never been turned down. Dough is normally 2-3$ a ball from those places in my experience.

Here is the one I make in he bread machine. Comes out great. Enough to make 2 12" pies:

add 2 teaspoons of sugar to 1.5 cups of warm water (100-115 degrees)

stir in 21/4 teaspons yeast & let it sit 5 minutes

pour this in a bread machine with 4 cups of flour & 2 teaspoons of salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil Set on white bread

After kneading remove from machine and place in bowl grease with olive oil and let rise 1-1.5 hours

preheat the cooker to 475-550, it should be stable at that temp for about 30

Cooks in about 12 minutes.

If you have a Sam's Club they sell a case of frozen dough balls (20 count) for just under $17.00 and they have premade frozen pizza crusts (18 count???) for I'm thinking $20.00 go to the place they sell their sliced pizza. That where it is in the store.

Back