Foil Vs. Foil Pan

R_Sanchez

TVWBB Member
Hi,

I will be doing tri tips tomorrow. usually I will direct sear than double wrap in foil for 25-30 minutes on the direct heat. The foil makes it a little difficult to monitor temps using a Taylor Elite thermometer. Has anyone ever noticed a difference in using foil pans versus foil? Im sure this would make my cook easier but not sure what might be different.

I've taken to using the pans topped with HD foil, easier to use,reusable ( a few times)
Not as messy, dual use as serving pans.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Ford:
I've taken to using the pans topped with HD foil, easier to use,reusable ( a few times)
Not as messy, dual use as serving pans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 to John's suggestion about foil pans. I find them on sale at the dollar store or at GFS so I always have a few on hand. If they aren't too dirty I will wash and reuse them too. Nice for glazing ribs & chicken and they keep your grill/smoker from getting gunked up with hard to clean burnt sauce.
icon_cool.gif

+2 for John's post. I've been doing my pork butts that way (with the butt on a small rack in the foil pan so it's not sitting in the juice - better bark).

When the time/temp is right, I wrap the butt in foil and put it back on. The foil pan comes inside to save the juices, and I add that juice to whatever juice is in the foil wrap.

Costco has a 30 pack of foil pans (13" x 10") for around $7.00....

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try the pans. Foil worked great, but looking for more consistent cooks.

Russell, I got plenty of room with my WSM
icon_smile.gif
, but I will be short on time. I have done them indirect but they usually go about 2+ hours. I can grill in 45 minutes. Plus I think my family likes them better grilled....

jmo, but, I sear first, for a few minutes each side to get some carmelizing going. Move to indirect to desired temp. No foil or pan necessary. The outer edges of the slice are not well done

Back