Foccacia

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
Foccacia

This came from Peter Rhineharts a Bread Bakers Apprentice. I believe there are a few minor changes I have made but the base of this reipe is his.

2 1/2 C Unbleached bread flour

1 1/2 C Water room temp

1/4 t instant yeast

combine and ferment for three or four hours at room temp. You can use then or put in the fridge for up to three days. Make sure to take out at least an hour before you use it.

2 2/3 C bread flour

2 t salt

1 1/2 t instant yeast

6 T olive oil

3/4 C water lukewarm

Mix dry, add wet and first mix. form a ball. Knead the dough until it is smooth. This is a wet dough so it is easiest to do this with a wooden spoon and moving the bowl around. Or else just use a stand mixer. I do it by hand and it usually takes about 6 or 7 minutes of good kneeding. If using a stand mixer mix until it is about 80 degrees.

Press into a rectangle and fold three ways like an envelope, flip seam side down. Do this every thirty minutes 5 times. Pour 1/4 cup or so of herb oil on a cookie sheet. Put the dough in cookie sheet covered with parchment and shape to size of the cookie sheet using only your finger tips. Also pour half of the herb oil on it. Let sit 2 hours. Then reshape with fingertips and add the remaining oil, cheeses and any other toppings (olives, jalapenos etc....). Heat oven to 500 F Put in pan and lower to 450. Bake 10 minutes rotate pan and bake 5 - 10 minutes more,

To make the herb oil take about 1/2 c of dried herbs ( I typically use herbes de provence with lavander) or a cup of fresh with 2 cups of olive oil heat in pan to no more than 100 degrees and let sit.

BBQontheBypass170.jpg

Clark

Clark, I use Rhineharts Foccacia recipe ffrom "American Pie" which is simliar to the one you use, very good recipe. Just an FYI for you. I also use that recipe for pan pizza dough. I split the dough into 2 balls and it makes 2 large pan pizzas like you get from Pizza Hut. I have several Large Pizza Hut pan pizza pans I scored off Ebay for cheap. I'm making a pan pizza for dinner tonight.

Hey Brian, I haven't tried the pan pizza dough recipe yet, I'll have to give it a go. I really like his NY dough and my wife is a big fan of Neapolitan Pizza. I have a heck of a time with that dough though. It just doesn't seem to stretch like I like it to, no matter how much rest I give it!

Clark

Thanks for the heads up on this Bryan. Tried it out tonight, cutting out the rest in the pan and puncturing the dough on the middle, leaving the crust.

I made one pie with chorizo, tomato sauce, rathtrevor, cheddar, and gruyere. Came out nice and light with a crunchy crust. I would give it a go again.

NewWSM011.jpg

NewWSM012.jpg

NewWSM013.jpg

NewWSM021.jpg

NewWSM018.jpg

Clark

OMG ... I can't keep up with this 'to do' list

all you guys ... and Larry ... just have to quit
icon_biggrin.gif

looks great Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Clark, I use Rhineharts Foccacia recipe ffrom "American Pie" which is simliar to the one you use, very good recipe. Just an FYI for you. I also use that recipe for pan pizza dough. I split the dough into 2 balls and it makes 2 large pan pizzas like you get from Pizza Hut. I have several Large Pizza Hut pan pizza pans I scored off Ebay for cheap. I'm making a pan pizza for dinner tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here's a link to some of the pan pizzas I've made using the foccacia recipe. The last 4 pics are of the latest 2 pan pizzas made, a roni, bellas, green onion, black olive, asiago, mozz pie, and a roni, asiago, mozz pie. Link to pan piza pics.

Back