Flavorizer Bars / Size and function question.

Bailey Brown

Long time (30+ years) weber gas grill owner. I currently have 2 (Genesis Special Edition and rebuilt Genesis / 1980's). I just picked up a Spirit II to replace the Genesis Special Edition (entire frame rusting out).
My question, a few years back I picked up a set of about 30 flavorizer bars at an auction for $10. They fit my other grills. The Spirit II has a shorter and "higher V" flavorizer bar. On the used Spirit II, one of the flavorizer bars was completely rusted through. I cut one of my replacements and put it in the spirit. It seemed to work even though it doesn't have the same headroom as the original bars. Before I go buy new bars I would appreciate any insight into whether it makes any difference? The grill heated just the same and the burners were covered by the smaller bars. Other than a greater surface area for grease drippings, is there any reason not to use up my existing stash?

Long time (30+ years) weber gas grill owner. I currently have 2 (Genesis Special Edition and rebuilt Genesis / 1980's). I just picked up a Spirit II to replace the Genesis Special Edition (entire frame rusting out).
My question, a few years back I picked up a set of about 30 flavorizer bars at an auction for $10. They fit my other grills. The Spirit II has a shorter and "higher V" flavorizer bar. On the used Spirit II, one of the flavorizer bars was completely rusted through. I cut one of my replacements and put it in the spirit. It seemed to work even though it doesn't have the same headroom as the original bars. Before I go buy new bars I would appreciate any insight into whether it makes any difference? The grill heated just the same and the burners were covered by the smaller bars. Other than a greater surface area for grease drippings, is there any reason not to use up my existing stash?
Perhaps put up some photos. But, in the end the main purpose of the bars is to protect the burners and also to "vaporize" drippings.

Try to register that grill. I believe Weber had a 10 year warranty on all parts on the Spirit II grills.

Back