Flat Iron Steak

Stuart S

TVWBB Pro
I've got a cook coming up on Thursday and I'm looking for some advice/experience from y'all. My friend saw my pics of my mothers day cook and decided he was going to get an OTS for himself. He has done a couple of cooks, but hasn't had good results so I offered to have him and his fiancé (who is good friends with my missus) over on Thursday night so I could show him what I've learned and help him out. I was at my local farmers market and my beef guy had some excellent looking flat irons on for $6.00 a pound...local grown grass fed beef from less than 30 miles from my house. Couldn't resist picking a 2 pounder up. I'm planning on doing flat iron fajitas. I'm okay with prepping the cut to remove the silver skin and marinating it, but was hoping some advice on what method to use to cook it. Was thinking of a reverse sear, but hoping for some experienced pros to chime in. What temp should I shoot for at the grate and how long to cook it etc.

Depending on how thick the flatiron is, I'd cook it direct high (400-450). To me, anything that can be cooked in 12 minutes or less, gets cooked direct. As such, you're basically searing the entire time, as you never come off the flame.

Then I'd cut that bad oscar as thin as I could.

I've also taken these steacks and cut them PRIOR to cooking. Cut, marinate, and then cook on a grill pan, almost like stir fry. Or even in a cast iron skillet over the grill.

Lots of ways to approach these.

Flat iron is my favorite cut. I like it better than strips, ribeyes, and sirloin.

I like to cook it high heat 550-600 flipping once bringing it to the rare side of medium rare. If the steaks are nice and thick you can get a good crust while keeping the middle cool to barely warm.

Season to taste but I use salt, black pepper, and ground chipotle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Trapp:
Flat iron is my favorite cut. I like it better than strips, ribeyes, and sirloin.

I like to cook it high heat 550-600 flipping once bringing it to the rare side of medium rare. If the steaks are nice and thick you can get a good crust while keeping the middle cool to barely warm.

Season to taste but I use salt, black pepper, and ground chipotle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still do NOT understand how you get a grill to 550-600. I light a full chimney, waiting until all the coals are ashed over, and with vents open full bore, I NEVER get that hot. What's the trick???

In my case I turn the gas knob up all the way.

Where are you measuring the temp at? I do not have a charcoal grill but I find it hard to believe two inches from a mound of fully lit coals would not get to 550-600.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Trapp:
In my case I turn the gas knob up all the way.

Where are you measuring the temp at? I do not have a charcoal grill but I find it hard to believe two inches from a mound of fully lit coals would not get to 550-600. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I was going by the thermo that's built into the handle of my Performer. Anyone have an idea of how big a discrepancy there is between lid temperature, and grate temperatures? You're probably right though. Anything that's on fire and just a couple inches away has to be generating some decent heat.

I hit 425 at the middle of the grate the other day with a full chimney of lump, but I didn't measure over the coals so I would assume it would be higher there. I don't think that a charcoal could hit the 500-600 in question though.

Yesterday, I had a few small pieces of lump left in the kettle from the day before. I lit 50 briquettes in a small chimney I have that holds that many. I dumped after 20-25 minutes and arranged the coals two high. Closed the lid to heat up the grate and waited 15 minutes. When I returned to the grill, my therm had spun around passing the 500* mark.

Its about how much heat and fire is right underneath the meat and less about what the lid thermo says.

IMHO, if you get a 2-briquette layer of grey coals (red glow and weird little flames in the coals) that extends past the steak on all sides, you'll get a good sear.
For steaks, I get a fire as above and sear about 2 min each side and move to indirect side for a a couple min to get warm pink with good crust. Poke meat to test doneness.

If your only doing one large or two small steaks, Smokey Joes rule at getting super high steak searing heat.

DSC02192.JPG

DSC02203.JPG

DSC02206.JPG

Stuart I would cook direct but flip it a lot to keep from charring the exterior. Set up your grill with a couple different heat zones so you can slow it down or speed it up. I personally hate the taste of chargrilled meats.I like a light sear.

Where did you get the flat iron? At the Orleans market? I'll have to check it out. I buy most of my meat from Lavergnes on Navan Rd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Where did you get the flat iron? At the Orleans market? I'll have to check it out. I buy most of my meat from Lavergnes on Navan Rd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in Kanata, but the guy I buy from does the Orleans market as well. His name is Dan O'Brien.

http://ottawafarmersmarket.ca/...our-vendors/alpha/O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Stuart I would cook direct but flip it a lot to keep from charring the exterior. Set up your grill with a couple different heat zones so you can slow it down or speed it up. I personally hate the taste of chargrilled meats.I like a light sear.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I flip only once to get a good char (not burnt). Different strokes for different folks.

I didn't take any pics, but the advice everyone provided was bang on...cooked direct over a mound of lump stacked and registering about 500 above the coals on my cheapo maverick probe. Bob, I would recommend this cut if Dan has it at the market...but if you've never used it before google up flat iron silverskin.

Glad you liked it. I'm going by the Orleans Market today to see if he has some. Have you tried Christopher's Meats in Richmond? I've heard good things about it but haven't gotten out there.

Back