First Stoker cook, a couple of questions

Here's the GRAPH not too bad, but I doesn't look like your graph. Fire wasn't out, that's when I took the lid off to turn and spray my ribs.

Larry,
This looks a lot like my graphs did before I fixed my door. To me it looks like you have a lot of air leaking into your cooker.

There is also a way to tell the stoker to turn the fan off for 5 minutes. Cycle through the blower menu and you'll see it. Always turn off the blower before removing the lid. If you have Amir's program working correctly, it will detect an open lid situation. It takes these things a long time to cool down once you've got em too hot. And those little air leaks I warned you about will keep the hot fire going with only a small amount of air.

I'm glad I read this post! I've been sitting on the fence for too long trying to decide which fan control to buy. I'm not a techie and I just don't see myself ever using my computer or phone to control my cookers, but I would love to be able to monitor my BGE and WSM at home or use it on the Drum Smoker and WSM at a comp. I just want to use it out of the box and worry about the "deep end" later! I just may want to! BTW-I'm still recording and listening to cassette tapes.

I threw out my reel to reel a couple of years ago. It had been broke for about 20 years, thought I might get it fixed one day. Shoot, you can't even get a TV fixed these days. Suck it up and move on I guess. Now my telephone has an MP3 player, camera, and who knows what else. BTW , the worst part about throwing away my reel to reel, it had a build in 8 track player/recorder.

PICTURES

Well all in all I'd say my first smoke with the Stoker was a success. I got the pit going by using the controls on the Stoker and then got my web/Stoker log access setup. Got it setup about 1 1/2 hour into my smoke (see graph), I'm not sure what happened during the middle off my cook when I turned my ribs, when I put the lid on it spiked up to 275. Then she crept (sp?) down back towards my target 225 temp. and kept on going going down to 214. At 214 I adjusted the temp on the Stoker web interface from 225 to something like 230 and the blower finally came back on, it was almost as if the Stokerlog wasn't communicating to the Stoker, however as you see from the graph it was. Also, I did "auto lid detection" in Stokerlog turned on as well as when I setup the Stoker I turned on the 5 minute blower setting was active.

Ribs turned out great, could have kept them on for about another hour but someone wanted to eat so I pulled them.

Any thoughts on how I can stabilize my temps a little better would be greatly appreciated. Bob mentioned that I may have a drafty door, I'll have to look at that.

Lastly, how do you shut down your cooks with? I disconnected everything except for the blower and closed the top vent 100%, will she extinguish herself?

Thanks again to everyone for all their help and input, it's been greatly appreciated.

Opening the lid adds a lot of air to the coals. It is normal to see it spike during that time. The "auto lid detection" should have shut off the Stoker for 5 minutes so your smoker can regain temperature. My guess is it would have resumed temp whether you adjusted the temperature up or not.

Congrats to your first Stoker cook. Next up is Pork Butt so you can drive yourself crazy watching the fire and the meat temps on the graph!!!

Congrats Larry, I remember my first cook with the Stoker, I thought I was gonna go crazy. It felt like I had all this stuff happening on top of my cook. I have learned to take plenty of time before my cook and set everything up, nice and mellow like. As you have seen from the couple graphs I have posted I could totally ignore the cook, if not for spritzing and turning. I would post my finished graph from tonights ribs but the stokerlog crashed about 5 minutes before I was going to pull the ribs so I don't have a picture
icon_frown.gif

The number one thing that helped me the most using the Stoker was to square away my door. There are times I wish the darn thing wasn't even on it, now that I use a clay pot base. I have not opened it in about twenty or so cooks. The only thing I have noticed since getting the door not to leak is I have trouble on hi temp cooks, I have to prop the lid open with a wedge in order to get enough air moving through it.

For the next mod I make, I am going to attempt to add another top vent. Next week I am going to order the parts from Weber and see how it goes. It's gonna be a scary project I think, drilling those big holes in just the right places on my baby.

Again Larry congrats and the pics look delicious.

Larry,

A few of us have noticed that when a temperature is reached and then is exceeded for a longer period of time, like your, the fan will not kick in when it should. IMHO, this is a programming flaw, not major, and nothing that can't be handled. If I'm observing the cook, and see that the temp is dropping below my set point with no fan activity, I just reset the temp, one degree upward, and that kicks in the fan right away. Then I can change it back down if I feel like it. If I have to leave, I use my program to do an auto ramp change when the temp drops to 1 degree less than my desired temp.

To shut everything down, I just flip the switch on the Stoker, give it 5 minutes, then shut down all the vents.

Yea A. I guess I'll just minimize how long I take the lid off for. I'm really not a basting or mopping guy with my que. but wanted to give it a shot again this cook. I don't think it made much of a difference.

Bob, you're exactly right, I really felt like I was going crazy with my first smoke with this thing. As you know I was messing with my Gaming Adapter, then my WRT54GC trying to quickly turn her from a router to a bridge, then making sure the probes were correct, which by the way, I read that many people use the Guru eyelets with their Stoker, however I found it was a very tight fit getting the silicone around the probe through the eyelet, anyone else experience that? I'm glad I put the networking aside and just got her running on her own. I think I'm going to buy a more "industrial strength" wireless bridge as I've also been kicking around the idea of putting a web cam in the backyard to stream live video of my grills/smokes. Using the router worked fine with the exception of losing connection with the Stoker once, however since it wasn't connected to the Internet I couldn't take advantage of any of the Internet features in Ken or Amir's programs.

Brian M., based on my first cook with the Stoker and my buddy Ed C.'s first two cooks with the DigiQ II I've got to say I think out of the box the DigiQ II is probably more intuitive and easier to configure when just using the control unit. However, if you're ever thinking that you might want to take advantage of the web interface or Amir and Ken's programs, I'd recommend the the Stoker. Truth be told it did take me about 5 minutes to figure out how to set the pit temp and then the low and high temp alarms on the Stoker unit (not using software). I don't know why but I couldn't get to the right menu. Could have just been me being thick. However, now that I've done it once this way it would probably take me less than a minute to set these values again. I love being able to graph my cook, espeically for the times when I'm asleep or away from my smoker, the ability to look at what was going on with my temps and fan activity will be great! So I guess when making you're decision as to which way to go my only advice would be it depends on where you want to take your usage of the unit down the road. Which is pretty much the advice I got when I was trying to make the same decision, that thread is HERE. Again, this is based on one session with my Stoker and two of my buddy's cooks with his DigiQ II, I am not an expert on either of these systems.

I have a few more questions if you guys wouldn't mind giving me additional input. BTW, I'll be sure to pay all this knowledge forward:

1) Bob, you mention a couple of things that threw me, a. You use a clay saucer? I thought that with automatic draft control systems (ADCS) there was no need for a heat sink to assist in maintaining your temps. Prior to purchasing the Stoker I used the clay saucer mod. and was very satisfied with it.

2) Bob, you mention you're adding another vent to the top of your WSM. I assume this is for high temp cooks? I ran this smoke with my top vent at say 1/8 open (all three holes of course). Is this the correct setting when using a ADCS?

3) From what I've read you can run Stoker log and Ken's Timers program simultaneously without any issues. Is this correct?

Thanks again for all the input guys, it's greatly appreciated.

One of the questions I had when looking at the Stoker was how does it mount to my WSM for those who may be thinking about purchasing one and wondering the same I've put a couple of PICTURES on the web for you. The install was super simple, not tools required . . . just my speed.

Larry as I mentioned previously, I had a lot of issues with the game adapter. I purchased the Buffalo Tech Wireless Ethernet Adapter (802.11 G) and have never had another connection issue.

Amir's program allows you to save settings and load them up. I have saved the settings for "fast ribs", "slow ribs", "pork butt", etc. It really simplies setup. In addition, I let the Stoker do all the work in my cooks. I get the lump started, add the meat I'm going to smoke immediately and let the Stoker bring the smoker up to temp with the meat already on. It is just one less time I need to open up the lid and the Stoker does a great job getting it up to temperature.

While I haven't done it yet I believe you can run Amir and Ken's programs at the same time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a few more questions if you guys wouldn't mind giving me additional input. BTW, I'll be sure to pay all this knowledge forward:

1) Bob, you mention a couple of things that threw me, a. You use a clay saucer? I thought that with automatic draft control systems (ADCS) there was no need for a heat sink to assist in maintaining your temps. Prior to purchasing the Stoker I used the clay saucer mod. and was very satisfied with it.

2) Bob, you mention you're adding another vent to the top of your WSM. I assume this is for high temp cooks? I ran this smoke with my top vent at say 1/8 open (all three holes of course). Is this the correct setting when using a ADCS?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, to answer your questions.

1) I continue to use the Claypot base because I do not want direct heat on my que, and it makes a great heat sink. Come to think of it, this provides a radiant heat within the smoker and may also be part of my rock solid stability.

2) For a Low and slow cook I leave my top vent 100% open. I have never, ever closed my top vents during any cook. And yes the additional top vent would be for High temp cooks. I cook more butterflied chicken on my smoker than anything else and running it at 350° it comes out perfect. The other favorite of my kids is Smoked Meat Loaf, and I cook that between 350° and 375°.

This is all such good information. I think I'm going to put together an informal document for first time stoker users. As honestly, without asking the "dumb" questions, the only way one would learn this stuff is by trial and error. Many aren't like me and won't ask the dumb questions so maybe a document would be helpful.

So Bob in your experience you find no issues with running the top vent 100% open huh? Obviously, I saw your graph, rock solid temps and you cannot argue with that. Interesting, however now that I think about, last night when I shut my cook down I closed the top vent the remaining 1/8 and the fire was out within two hours. So maybe having the vent in that position was actually working against my Stoker.

Larry,
Like I said I hav never closed my vent during any cooks at all. I think you are correct, I think probably having your vent closed was hurting you.

The idea on creating a first time Stoker users guide is fantastic. It sure would have helped me and probably saved me a few cuts of meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The idea on creating a first time Stoker users guide is fantastic. It sure would have helped me and probably saved me a few cuts of meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea I don't code but I do write fairly well so maybe this can be my contribution
icon_biggrin.gif
I know that having the info that you guys provided me with and what I learned in my first cook (and what I'll learn in subsequent cooks) would have been nice to have in a document form prior to my fist cook. I see it as a "living document," as I experience or read something new on this board I'll update it. It won't be War and Peace but hopefully the information will be good and will help with the learning curve.

I think I'll start it this weekend.

Back