First Silver A Restore & Thoughts on Non-Standard IR Burner Upgrade?

Jesse HH

Hi all!

I am brand new to the forum (hello from Grand Rapids Michigan!), I discovered it while doing some research on how to save the Silver A (circa 2002) I picked up for free, despite the loud protests from the Mrs. It is in pretty rough shape (will attach pictures soon), but based on everything I have seen on here, I think I can save it.

I was thinking about trying to buy/integrate/build a standalone IR burner for the side table as a modular drop-in unit to replace the current side table. I was looking around, and I haven't seen anything purpose built on the market, wondering if anyone had attempted this before? Thanks!

Hi Jesse, I have modified grills to add side burners. First - the Silver A is the smallest full size grill so you don't have a lot of real estate.

I send the propane from the regulator hose to a fitting to split the distribution - think T-fitting.
Route the propane from the T-fitting. 1 to the grill manifold and 1 to the burner.

I used fittings and lines I scavenged off grills with side burners.

IMG_0282.JPG

What burner do you use? An IR burner designed for another grill? Interested in more details of what you do downstream of the T-fitting

What burner do you use? An IR burner designed for another grill? Interested in more details of what you do downstream of the T-fitting
Hi Jesse, No IR but I would think the concept is the same.

A regular Weber side burner. The ones that look like a gas stove.

The small fittings can be purchased at the hardware store

Interesting! How do you mount the burner to the frame? I was hoping I could find something to replace the side table that I could mount a burner to, instead of having to build one myself.

do you just route the extra gas line around the firebox? Any Additional pictures?

Interesting! How do you mount the burner to the frame? I was hoping I could find something to replace the side table that I could mount a burner to, instead of having to build one myself.

do you just route the extra gas line around the firebox? Any Additional pictures?

Hi, do you just route the extra gas line around the firebox? - Yes. I did this on cabinet models so it is easy to hide the line but difficult for pictures.

A picture of the IR burner would help. My guess is on top of the frame would be best.

The truly innovative IR burner upgrade would be to use it the way they're intended to be used. As a "broiler" burner. Above the food. It would be WAY cool if one could be incorporated into the lid. IR burners do not do well with drippings going into them. So putting it above stops that issue

Back