first pork loin ever, recs on cooking.

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I picked up a big ol pork loin, nearly 2' long & really fat. I'm going to cook it tomorrow, at least a quarter of it, and I'm looking for a couple suggestions.

I have 2 limitations: No salt, & no oil.

Just black pepper & smoke? Should I cook it on the OTG or my WSM? What temp should I shoot for, lid & meat...

TIA

Cook on kettle, set up for indirect, smokentill temp gets to 120F & pull, open vents get fire hot put back on & sear till temp 140F

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
sounds like a plan - thanks John.

Maybe I'll even take a pic. Maybe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Go for it Clint! Please post a pic or two. I may do one soon myself.

hmmm, no salt
icon_confused.gif
. Loins like brine.

I like to slice them thin, pound them, give the pieces a nice marinade and grill them fast.

well I made it, it looked great, but it was just too much. Maybe if I hadn't cooked it, or carried the 2' slab of meat in my left hand while walking through the supermarket, or considered the pigs in cages that are too small to turn around in..... it looked great but just tasted too porky.

I must just be a chicken/steak/fish/fruit/veg type of guy.

your way sounds good jeff.... forget the no salt & oil. but that's a huge piece of pig

it had an "off" smell coming out of the cryovac so I rinsed it & it smelled OK.

I wonder why pork butt is good to me but pork loin is not.

Try it stuffed with an apple stuffing and cooked on the kettle indirect with apple smoke. Use your favourite rub on the outside, slice and serve with a side of apple sauce. If it was to porky tasting try buying a fresh , smaller loin not cryovaced.

Back