First cooks of the year: ribs and chicken

Fabien Goubet

I cooked a beer can chicken which turned absolutely excellent. Used my Performer, removed the grill and put the chicken in a water drip pan placed directly between the two charcoal baskets. The chicken ended up with a crispy skin and a so-juicy meat. Took around 1h15 at 190°C/375°F at lid level.
PXL_20220515_112739360.PORTRAIT.jpg
After that I tried the "Competition chicken" recipe from Bill Gillespie's book "Secrets of smoking". The chicken thighs were delicious and people went crazy about them. Definitely a must-have recipe. I'm just wondering if I should maybe sear them at the last minute to get a crispier skin. I cooked them on my Performer as well.
PXL_20220515_171653212.PORTRAIT.jpg
Last but not least, I cooked some baby back ribs in my WSM. I used Steven Raichlen's recipe "Oak-smoked Cherry-glazed baby back ribs" (but I smoked with Hickory and used a different rub). This a wonderful recipe, so easy to do (no wrap, low effort), for a fantastic result. The cherry combines so well with the ribs and smokey flavours. I've done it a couple of times and it has become my standard ribs recipe. Strongly recommend you try it!
PXL_20220514_110559746.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220514_110557307.PORTRAIT.jpg

Back