First Cook with Stoker

Darrin H

I just completed my first cook with the Stoker. Anybody buying one should pay close attention to the part about keeping the load of charcoal even. I decided to use a horseshoe to keep the space in front of the blow free, bad idea as temp spiked a bit more than an hour into the cook:

081311smoke600.jpg

(I had problems with Stokerlog maintaining connection and kept receiving messages that "an error had occured". In addition, the fan never showed, prob the same problem)

Basic TJs South African Smoke rub, 4 hours smoking, then two applications of KC Mastepiece 15 minutes apart. TJs rub was a bust (tasted like pepper), but ribs were fall off bone tender:

201108-smoker01cd600.jpg

Boy, those are some nice looking ribs!

On stoker, which version do you have? The newer black one or the classic?

Hi Amir:

Thanks for the complement, they really turned out great. I have the black stoker with the wi-fi (am really looking forward to seeing if the wi-fi will work well in my living environment).

You may be one of the first people then to have tested it with stokerlog. It is possible that they broke the interface for fan in their firmware. Unfortunately I don't have a device to test with so if that is the issue, debugging may be challenging.

Hey Darrin,

How did you set up the black box to work with Stokerlog? Did you hardwire it to your router with an ethernet cable?

I just got my black box but, as my router is in my basement, I don't have a cable that will run that far.

Or, did you configure it directly to your laptop outside of a network? I don't know how to do this but would love to use Stokerlog on my next overnighter while I wait for the WIFI software. If so, any insight on how to do this?

Thanks,

JDH

Back