First cook on Weber Char Q

Milt DuCharme

TVWBB Fan
I picked up My Char Q from Bloomington Hardware on Friday. They had to special order it, they weren't planning on stocking any. After assembling it I immediately noticed there is only two inches of clearance between the charcoal grate and the cast iron food grate. Not enough room for the minion method.
After preparing a boneless, skinless chicken breast with a lime marinade I set up the grill for a one sided indirect cook. Found there was not enough heat getting to the chicken on the opposite side of the grill. Reconfigured for a two sided indirect cook and the chicken came out good.
I used one third of a chimney of lump and had about half of it left at the end. The bottom vent is a squared oval with a single plate controlled by a lever at the front of the grill. Very easy access. After closing all the vents the grill had cooled to the touch in one hour.
The ash pan has a well underneath the bottom vent that uses a disposable aluminum liner, two of which were supplied with the grill. The pan slides out from underneath the bottom vent and is easy to empty.
Overall I am satisfied with the Char Q, but I have decided to modify the charcoal grate so it sits deeper in the body.

Milt
It sounds as though this unit has some possibilities. Would it be possible to upload a couple of pix of it in operation both direct and indirect.

Regards

I added a second vent as low as possible on the left side of the lid. I can start a small pile of charcoal on the right side and leave the top vent closed and the left vent open. This forces the heat around the food on the left side. Cooked two angus sirloins this evening using the one sided indirect method and they turned out great.

My son visited today and brought his digital camera. Here are pictures of the modifications I have made to this grill. The first picture is the side vent I added. The second picture is the cuts made to shorten the charcoal grate. And the third picture is the assembled grate sitting lower in the grill. http://public.fotki.com/MiltDuCharme/grill/

looks interesting but i still havn't figured the why of this unit. weber has such a good charcoal choice already at a much cheaper price.
i do hope it works for you.

Milt
Thanks for the update, based on your comments and the modifications I am guessing that the other weber charoal BBQs may be a much better option. I know that Australia is not going to be bringing them in for sale, partly as charcoal grilling is not very popular, and partly by the assesment of the Weber Australia management. So unfortunatel;y I won't be able to play and give it my assessment.

Regards

phil, we could send you one. $$$$$$$$.
icon_smile.gif

Thank you Phil and George for your comments. With the two modifications the grill now works the way I want it to. I have used it several times since the modifications and am satisfied with the results.

Back