Finally restored the '03 SS Performer CL find...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
Back in November I picked up a ’03 Performer for $50 on craigslist. Once I got home and started taking it apart, it needed more work than I had originally thought. Well, I finally got around to getting it somewhat finished up and ready for cooking.

Here are some pictures of the original condition.

SSperformer.jpg

SSperformer1.jpg

SSperformer3.jpg

So I got a new bowl, ash sweeper, lid, and lid holder from Weber. Sent them pics of the rust on the bowl & lid and they sent everything for free. I had to purchase a new charcoal grate and a set of casters. I picked up the ash ring and bucket for $30 online. For the cooking grate I went with the Weber gourmet with a griddle. I used the griddle on my other performer Saturday night, but not in the gourmet grate system. I wanted it clean for the rebuild.

I took everything apart and soaked the stainless steel in some cleaner as it was covered underneath in grease. A few of the bolts had to be replaced. I also had to fix one of the connector bars as the inside had rusted out. There was a bike part fix for this posted on this site somewhere, but I had forgotten to pick one up. So I drilled a hole through the side at the top, ran a 2” bolt with a nut on the end in, and then put a screw the hole I drilled. Tightened down the bolt and it’s as good as new.

Cleaned the frame up and put a couple coats of spray paint. Put it all back together.

DSC02900.jpg

DSC02901.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02904.jpg

As for the wire rack, I am going to have my BIL family’s metal shop make me a drop in SS shelf for storage. The whole ignition system is in pretty bad shape, so I am going to clean it up and replace a couple parts before installing. I really did not want to install the whole ignition system and it end up not working, so I held off. I also need to pickup a thermometer for the lid.

Jeff,

I will post some when I have it made. I have a long list for them to work on for me. Baffle for my other performer, set of longer grill straps for my 18" WSM (to add a 3rd middle rack), another set of longer grill straps for my 22" (New ones are working great, but I had a couple new ideas on them), and the shelf for this performer. Once I get them all designed I should have it all within a couple days. His family wouldn't take money for the original grill straps, but he better for all of this. If not I am just going to show up with BBQ.

I didn't think that the SS performer was availble after 1999. I think the lid is a replacement. You did a great job getting it restored. Looking forward to the storage pics too.

'04 was the last year for the SS. After how easy it cleaned up, I am wishing I had 2 of the SS tops. My plastic top on my '10 is turning black from grease, cc, and ash near the grill edge. The plastic top on the newer models seems to be structural, otherwise I'd have their metal shop make me an SS top for it as well.

Good looking Performer there! Can you elaborate on the bike part mod? What part was it for? I'm restoring an SS Performer and am looking for cheap fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back