filet mignon and smoke?

Nicolas

TVWBB Member
i grilled a 1.5 lb piece of filet mignon last night and time wise and everything it was fine (though in the future i'll probably stop it at 125F rather than 130). BUT i thought that i would throw some mesquite chips on the charcoal to impart a "little bit" of flavor. i generally weigh the amount of wood that i use and in the past i've used 3oz of mesquite with burgers or rib eye. but this filet just sucked that smoke up more than i've ever seen. i mean the smoke ring on this thing would have been impressive IF i had wanted it. but i didn't and it was too overpowering. it was still edible but i'd much rather eat a filet with nothing more than salt and pepper and the slightest hint of smoke (maybe). Needless to say, in the future, i won't be doing this again. But my question is does a leaner meat absorb smoke flavor more efficiently than fattier meat and if so why?

Meat does not absorb smoke. Smoke is adsorbed by meat meaning it sticks to the outside. The strength of the smoke flavour depends on how much sticks.

I have done the same thing once with some fillet steaks I served at a party. Way too much hickory....felt like I was eating a branch of a tree. Lesson learned, expensive one too.

Bob's right about the smoke, but it still raises an interesting question...

Are there variables that affect how much smoke sticks to the meat? Do temperature, rubs, fat, type of meat, oil, etc... affect how much smoke adheres?

As for the OP, for shorter beef cooks, I've found a 3 part oak/ 1 part mesquite to be a nice blend. The longer the cook, the more careful you have to be with mesquite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
Bob's right about the smoke, but it still raises an interesting question...

Are there variables that affect how much smoke sticks to the meat? Do temperature, rubs, fat, type of meat, oil, etc... affect how much smoke adheres </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would imagine that fat rendering and dripping off the meat and spritzing with juice could have a "washing" affect.

Did you cook it over direct heat? How long did it cook for? I normally throw a handful of soaked mesquite chips on the coals when I do steaks and I've never had a problem with too much of a smoke flavour.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Meat does not absorb smoke. Smoke is adsorbed by meat meaning it sticks to the outside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as much as i'm trying to distinguish the difference here, i can't. what do you mean? "a sponge doesn't absorb water. water is absorbed by the sponge." i can't see the difference.

also, yes, a handful probably would have been fine. this was 3oz of chips. that's probably closer to like 3 real good size handfuls. next time i'm just going to leave it out. i'm using mesquite lump anyway, which doesn't seem to impart any flavor but i'd much rather taste the meat regardless.

i would like to know though if, like matt said, there are certain variables that affect the smoke sticking. because i use 16oz of smoke wood on my butts and briskets and i've never gotten a ring as dark as this was.

Nicholas,

It doesn't work like a sponge at all. If you cut the surface off the meat, you wouldn't taste the smoke at all. It just "sticks" to the surface.

The smoke ring is a chemical reaction that occurs with smoke and cooler meat, but that is not smoke flavor penetrating the meat.

The confusion is between absorbed and adsorbed.

Absorbed means something acts like a sponge, where particles or liquid are interspersed into the interior of another object.

The latter, adsorbed, means that the particles adhere to the surface.

Smoke particulates don't penetrate the meat (until you pull your pork butt, for example) and just sit on the surface.

This might explain why a filet tastes smokier than a brisket or butt - the filet has more surface area as a ratio than those larger cuts do.

Not to mention that you generally look to the outside of a steak for most of the flavor (seasoning, maillard reaction, salt, etc).

Hope this helps:

Definition: In the world of barbecue the smoke ring is one of the most sought after properties of smoked meats. It is believed to show that you have done a good job and properly low and slow smoked the meat in question. Is particularly prized in smoked brisket. So what is it?

A smoke ring is a pink discoloration of meat just under the surface crust (called bark). It can be just a thin line of pink or a rather thick layer. A good smoke ring is around 1/4 inch in thickness. The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood combustion in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.

So how to do you get the best smoke ring? Opinions vary. Generally water soaked wood produces more nitrogen dioxide loaded smoke. If you really want to make sure you get a smoke ring then cheat. Coating meat with a salt tenderizer link Morton's Tender Quick, will load up the surface of the meat with nitrogen dioxide and give you a great smoke ring. Because of the prevalence of this kind of cheating, smoke rings are no longer taken into consideration in barbecue competitions.

IMO your prob was caused by smoke wood choice.

Mesquite is the strongest, smokiest wood I've used, & it's easy to overdo, especially if you're not eating smoked meat regularly.

So my advice to you for now is to use milder woods (cherry/apple/hickory), and a little less of it.

Back