Favorite beef cut for grinding?

Chris Mason

TVWBB Fan
It looks like I'll be getting a Kitchen Aid grinder attachment for my birthday later this summer. With that in mind, for those of you who grind your own meat: What is your favorite cut of beef to grind (for burgers) and why?

Wow.... I would have never expected that answer, Kevin. Great!

I guess I just assumed everybody would say chuck. Cool surprise. I would love to eat a brisket burger.

No grinder in my house. Just thought that response was interesting.

Ground brisket will make one of the best burgers you ever had. The secret is out..
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
For me, brisket. I like that fat-to-lean ratio and the flavor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, do you trim the fat and if so, about how much?

No, not usually. Personal taste though. There are times when the fat is very thick on the flat and the point end and the hollow between the flat and point. If any of this is the case I'll trim some, maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of it, prior.

When you cut the brisket into strips (which you have to do for the meat to fit into the grinder), cut the strips in such a way that the fattiest strips are mostly fat with a little lean, and the lean strips are mostly lean with little to no fat*.

If you prefer finely ground meat the above isn't necessary since you'll be grinding twice or thrice anyway, but if, like me, you prefer some texture, this will set you up for that.

Chill the strips in the freezer for several minutes till firm, on a parchment-lines sheetpan. Grind the fatty pieces first, onto a small sheetpan or into a bowl. Move to the side. Using a larger bowl, grind the lean pieces one at a time, adding some of the already ground fatty mix to the hopper at the same time. This process grinds the lean once, the fat twice. Since brisket fat is quite firm, grinding it twice makes is more able to soften/render during cooking; grinding the lean once retains texture.

* Imagine a packer in front of you on a cutting board, fat side up. Cut the roast crosswise into 1.5-to-2-inch strips or so. Take a strip and turn it on its side. You'll now see the edge of the fatcap on one side of the strip. Cut that off, taking a little lean off with it. That's your fatty strip. The piece remaining is your lean strip. Repeat with the remaining crosscut pieces - there you go.

Note: If you buy packers but prefer to smoke only the flats you can separate the two before smoking, stashing the point for grinding into burgers. Since the point alone tends to have a higher fat ratio you might want to trim off some fat (or not) before grinding.

Many supermarkets sell overtrimmed, thin flats. Though not great for smoking, imo, all is not lost. Grind them with some chilled-till-firm bacon strips to add back some needed fat, and fashion burgers from that mix.

Ernie-- If you have a food processor you can 'grind' your own meat. The process is a bit different but it works.

Great info Kevin. I'll have to give this a try very soon, both whole packer and point only. I've thought about cutting the point off and grinding it in the past, though burnt ends have always won out.

Wow, great info. Brisket would be great.

Looking around at other sources, I've seen chuck and short rib meat also suggested (as well as blends of all 3). I'll definitely give brisket a try, though.

I normally use chuck for grinding. never even gave brisket a thought. That will now change. And as an added bonus, brisket is usually cheaper per LB, at least by me.

Brisket is very good, but I often go with a 50/50 combo of chuck and sirloin.

Handy tip from someone who has a KA grinder: after you cube the meat, freeze it for about half an hour. It'll produce a much smoother grind.

From some NYC chef friends of mine, the best, most flavorful burgers come from a mix of:

1/3 Brisket
1/3 Short Ribs
1/3 Sirloin (or chuck if you prefer)

you can play with these ratios to tweak the richness to your liking...

AND-- get the potato flour burger-rolls instead of reg hamburger rolls-- it's the in-n-out burger's secret weapon (in addition to a high-fat meat grind as listed above)...

Lean ground beef is a no-no for a tasty burger, unless your doctor tells you so...

D

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
For me, brisket. I like that fat-to-lean ratio and the flavor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same here.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DavidM:
From some NYC chef friends of mine, the best, most flavorful burgers come from a mix of:

1/3 Brisket
1/3 Short Ribs
1/3 Sirloin (or chuck if you prefer)

you can play with these ratios to tweak the richness to your liking...

AND-- get the potato flour burger-rolls instead of reg hamburger rolls-- it's the in-n-out burger's secret weapon (in addition to a high-fat meat grind as listed above)...

Lean ground beef is a no-no for a tasty burger, unless your doctor tells you so...

D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats one expensive burger..
icon_eek.gif

Back