Eyelets, Dome, Door or "other" for stoker probe wired?

Gerd H

TVWBB Super Fan
What are the common methods for feeding stoker specific pit probes in to a WSM22?

I assume the 'guru' eyelets will work fine on a 22. Does anyone chance it and just feed the pit probe wire through the access door or under the dome instead?

Secondarily, where is the most common pit probe placement to achieve a well rounded average temperature? I have been thinking that actually hanging the stoker clip upside down from the top grate may be the best, as long as it is not directly under a hunk of cooking meat (and the associated dripping and heat shield effect). Am I overthinking and should they ust be clipped to the top of the grate?

These are the kinds of questions you have when waiting for your Stoker to arrive.....

I have found with my digiq that clipping it to the grate being careful not to put any meat directly on it has worked for me. On two separate cookers one stumps stretch and a homemade stick burner. I have no experience with a WSM. When direct grilling or smoking on an unfamiliar cooker I will use a small oven thermometer and place it on the cooking grate hope this helps. stoker will be up and running soon probe placement wont matter regardless someone with experience specific to WSM will come along I’m sure

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd Hilkemeyer:
What are the common methods for feeding stoker specific pit probes in to a WSM22?

I assume the 'guru' eyelets will work fine on a 22. Does anyone chance it and just feed the pit probe wire through the access door or under the dome instead?

Secondarily, where is the most common pit probe placement to achieve a well rounded average temperature? I have been thinking that actually hanging the stoker clip upside down from the top grate may be the best, as long as it is not directly under a hunk of cooking meat (and the associated dripping and heat shield effect). Am I overthinking and should they ust be clipped to the top of the grate?

These are the kinds of questions you have when waiting for your Stoker to arrive..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey there, G$! The waiting sucks doesn't it?

I am a big believer in using the eyelet as the means by which you should run your probes into your cooker. You can use just an upper eyelet if you're only planning to run a pit probe with your system or you can use both an upper and lower eyelet if you want to run both a pit and meat probe with your system. By upper and lower I mean that I prefer to install the eyelets into the same bracket on the WSM, one above and one below, so that the wires enter the cooker from the same side. I only use pit probes on my competition cookers so I have only a single upper eyelet on each cooker.

As for the attaching the pit probe, I clip mine on the upper grate just about an inch above the actual level of the grate. This has worked very well. Stop by our site at the upcoming Chandler contest and I'll show you what I'm talking about.

In the meantime, please don't stalk the mailman!

See you soon.

VQ

Thanks Vince, for this help and the other ....

I only plan on using only pit probes, period, so I should only need one eyelet, and I'll put it in the upper grate bracket per your recommendation. Likewise, I'll just clip the probe above the top grate - keep it simple.

See you in less than two weeks.....

Back