Extension Cables for Stoker

d kyser

I thought you were able to use headphone extension cables for your stoker. I tried this tonight and it would not work. I was using 3 20 foot cables and it would not work at all, I took away the cables and it worked.

I tried several combination of cables,I had 4, but only needed 2 or 3 and no luck.

What did I do wrong.

Was it the temp probe or blower? You may have a problem with the latter due to extra power requirement.

I use a 20' extension for my fan. But just make sure the extension for the fan is not on a splitter that also has the pit/meat probes. The fan needs to be on a dedicated cable/extension from the Stoker to the fan.

Make sure the headphone cables you are using are stereo cables and not mono.

I can get you the Radio Shack part numbers if you need them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by d kyser:
I am using stereo cables, I am wondering if a shorter length will work.

Are you using the 10 cfm fan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I just use the 5cfm fan. It may be that the 10cfm fan uses more power and the extension cables can't carry it -- that's why I don't have any problems with the 5cfm (I used to use 3 of the 20' extensions, but now I only need to use 1 since I use a wireless bridge and the Stoker box is out by the smoker now).

20-Ft. Stereo Headphone Cable, 1/4" Jack to 1/4" Plug
Model: 42-2556 | Catalog #: 42-2556
$9.99

3-Ft. Gold-Plated 1/4" Stereo Headphone Y-Adapter
Model: 42-2568 | Catalog #: 42-2568
$7.99

Gold-Plated 1/4" Stereo Headphone Plug Adapter
Model: 274-894 | Catalog #: 274-894
$5.39

If running very long lengths to the blower, you may want to look into this: http://rocksbarbque.com/product.gc?ID=41

The 10 CFM definitely causes problems with extension cables. I can run extension cables when I use my 4 CFM fan but not when I use the 10 CFM. FWIW, the 10 CFM requires the higher wattage power adapter and won't help with the extension cable issue. I only used my 10 CFM setup a couple of times so I did not put a great deal of effort into trying to make it work.

I have 2 sets of extension cables, one is made from Cat5 and one from 4 wire thermostat wiring and neither worked with the 10 CFM fan.

Back