Exhaust sizing with stoker

kris lewis

TVWBB Member
Im trying to figure out what exhaust sizing people are running with a UDS? I have tried it wide open, on lower temps(225-275) with good results, but i cant get it to hold anything over 300 consistently. I was told to close the exhaust down(btw my drum has a weber lid) to 1/8" and i saw my temps just FALL, assuming i was choking the fire. Trying to get information from others.
Thank you,
Kris

Hi Kris,

I've been using a Stoker with my WSMs for three years and have been able to attain and maintain temperatures as high as 375F and I always run the smokers with the top vents wide open.

The only time I ever close down the top vents is when I want to choke the temperature down.

Try using more lit coals at the very beginning of the cooking process and see if that doesn't assist you in getting a higher temperature to begin with.

Thanks for the help. I just added a water pan to my UDS making it a HUGE WSM. I want to do a high temp chuckie and beef ribs today. Now, were your temps at 375°F achieved with or without water in your water pan? Trial and error sure is tasty.
kris

Back