Excessive Ash with DiqiQ DX and 10 CFM fan

Ben Leyhew

TVWBB Member
I have had my DigiQ DX and 10 CFM fan on my 18.5 WSM for over a year. Lately, I have noticed excessive ash on my cooks--this has been happening on both high heat cooks (turkey and chicken) as well as low heat cooks (boston butts, etc.). Currently I have my fan closed down to about 10-15%. Has anyone else had this issue? I have cooked with this setup for a year without issue and for some reason now I am having problems with ash on my meat. I am not sure if the deflector is to blame or what. No one wants to eat meat covered in ash. I suspect that I may need to turn the air deflector on the fan adapter. Right now it is facing down which is stirring up any ash that falls below the charcoal grate. Can I achieve sufficient control by turning the air deflector up? I really don't want to go back to just using the vents (especially on the longer cooks). Any pertinent advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Ben--I just noticed your post. I have been using the blue Kingsford lately, have the exact same setup as you, and have been having a hard time keeping my temps on target. Last cook I used less charcoal and loaded the ring a bit heavier on the side opposite the Guru. Everything worked great! I'll probably go on a low-ash charcoal search now, also. I'm not convinced the blue Kingsford isn't the culprit.

I've had the same issue to a lesser degree. I'd love to switch charcoal but I'm cheap and sitting on a palate of Kingsford and still have some original charcoal company charcoal.

I have pondered if there is a decent soloution to htis as the fan is vented down to where the ash collects.

Since I don't use water in the pan I was considering CAREFULLY dissassempling the middle and top from the bottom (note: I'm not recommending this as it is tricky and potentially dangerous maneuver)
12 hours into the cook and emptying the charcoal in to one of my other grills so I can empty the ash pit.

Up to now other than changing charcoal I kind of think its the nature of the beast blowing a fan onto ash is going to make it airborne.

Do you stokerfolk use a different adapter or not experience this issue?

Amir Which charcoal do you use?

Might not be a bad idea to give a call to the Guru people as well as they are always helpful. I may as this is somewhat of an unresolved issue (though minor as i never noticed it in taste) for me as well.

I seem to remember still having some ash isssue even on not Guru overnight cooks.

I buy it from Whole Foods market since that it the only place which carries natural charcoal. According to the above database it is the same as Cowboy brand: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag13.htm

A word of caution though: the last bag we bought has been coated with something to make it light easy. It now smells bad as it is burning and I have to let a lot of it burn off before cooking. That said, as you read in the review, it is very low ash. It burns hot and clean. When I need smoke, I put my own wood chunks in there.

I have also bought them charcoal at Home Depot but the brand they have sparks a ton.

Try opening the draft on the Guru all the way and have the top vent open about 2/3's. I have found that the Guru will just cycle on and off for brief puffs to maintain the fire/temp for extended cooks (12+ hrs) with no ash stirred up. I only use lump (RO or Wicked Good) so there isn't much ash buildup.

I use virtaully the same set-up as described, but have no ash issues. I keep the opening of the deflector clean, and have it pointing downward. If I had this problem, I would clean the deflector opening and try pointing the opening sideways so it would swirl the air in the chamber in a cyclonic action. Not sure, but seems pointing up may not be as effective in blowing air across the coals which is the desired effect.
I use standard Kingsford briquettes. I have read that Kingsford Competition briquettes produce less ash.

Back