Ever heard of the Weber 22.5" Compact Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes. its been talked about. differant requirements down there. expect they are differant with the blood running to their heads being upside down and all that.

The compact kettle is made to a price point and is, in my opinion not that good. The fire is as Rolf points out closer to the grill and reduces the useable area for indirect and puts the coals too close for direct. Having said that a lot of people use the compact kettle with good results. Most people buy them just to cook the Christmas dinner on.
The gas kit is used because the cost of charcoal or briquettes is so expensive.
Briquettes are $8.23 for a 4 kg (8 1/2 lb ) bag.
Don't forget most Aussies grill on a grill plate (griddle) with a gasser.

Cheers

I had a Weber Compact here in Belgium. I saw it for half price so I thought I may as well try it... but I ended up not liking it and gave it away. Its fine if you want to cook sausages and burgers all the time but I was trying to do larger indirect cooks with spotty success. The coals are just too close to the grate and that doesn't leave room for piling coals to one side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Most people buy them just to cook the Christmas dinner on.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,

What, pray tell, is on the menu for the traditional grilled Christmas in OZ?

Actually Carl They are not used for grilling but for roasting the pork/turkey or both indirectly.
Roast pork leg or loin with the skin (crackling) on cooked in the kettle for about 3 - 3 1/2 hours is the best in the world and is one of the main dishes in our Christmas Dinner. Turkey although quite common is not as popular.
Chrismas dinner in our house generally consists of soup or something light as a starter followed by Prawns and a grilled Salmon dish as an entree. The main meal will be roast Pork, roast Turkey, roast Chicken, cold sliced Ham, roast Potatoes Pumpkin and Carrots, Broccholi & Cauliflower in a white cheese sauce, minted peas and perhaps Brussel Sprouts. Desert will be Plum Pudding with brandy custard and double cream and a Pavlova. Followed by a cheese plate. On the table will be fresh cherries and strawberries plus assorted nuts. There will also be chocolates and chocolate covered nuts. We generally start the meal at 1 pm and finish about 8 pm. By this time we will have drunk enough wine to put a dent in any vineyards annual production. After dinner we normally ajourn to the lounge room where we have a quiet drink and relax. We generally have 20 or more family and friends. I cook all the meat on my collection of barbecues.

Is this something like what you do?

Cheers

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back