EdgePro - finally took the plunge

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
Step 1 - forwarn wifey that I'm going to do this, Check!

Step 2 - go to website & order Apex-3 kit, (& spare 220 stone) Check!

I'll let you all know how it works for a first-timer. Our 15 year old Wusthoff Classic set is long overdue for a good work-over.

If you have similar knives or this sharpener - any advice? Here's what I have in my block set:

(3) Chef's knives:
-Large / wide
-Medium / narrowish
-small
(2) Paring knives
(2) Serrated knives (I'm not that worried about thse)
Set of steak knives

Sounds like the double-bevel should be the way to go on the chef's knives.

Dang, these guys are quick! I placed my order around noon, and by 3 PM, I received an E-mail stating that my kit is shipping-out.

RE: Kevin's question above:
Yup - All Wusthoff Classic (got them as a set for our wedding in '95)

I've touched-up some of them on a wetstone and a small, fine, diamond stone a few times.

Because they're decent stuff, and we ALWAYS keep them in their knife block, they seem to hold their edge fairly well. Although I'm certain there has been deterioration - it has been very gradual. (But I'll bet that I will see a pronounced difference once I renew the edges.)

I also have several cheapo knives and fillet knives (Rapala / Martini) that I use for the "rough-stuff". [I'm pretty good at filleting and skinning fish.]

Any ideas on how to thin-down the bolsters on the Wusthoffs? I have not worn them down enough to get the non-sharpenable "bump" near the handle end, but I want to prevent it, and be able to sharpen the whole edge with my new EP System.

did you get the 120 stone? I only have the 220 and 320 and its hard to get an edge on a knife that hasn't been sharpened in some time.

I'm planning on ordering the 120 to make things easier when first starting out an old blade.

I was having trouble getting through a set of really dull steak knives the other day... and then realized I had the 320 stone on. DOH!

Not sure about the 120, but the 220 REALLY cuts faster than the 320! <sigh>

Yup!

Ordered an extra 120 (un-mounted) with the kit. I read that these wear-down relatively quickly if you do a lot of re-beveling, which I anticipate on my first go-round.

Their "grit" terminology seems a bit confusing at first. Having background in woodworking - I was thinking that 120 sounds mighty coarse. But is appears that they mean something like 120 granules per micron - that's still pretty fine, compared to 120-grit sandpaper.

Most of the in-depth reviews stated that they went through more of the 120 stone than anything else in the kit, so I felt that for the seven bucks, I may as well order an extra from the start.

Many thanks for the pointers so far

My new toy arrived today!

Got home, watched the video, & put the edges back on (3) knives.

After 15 years of regular use, the old Wusthoff Classics did not require a ton of elbow-grease to whip 'em back into shape -- The bulk of the work was required in the heel/bolster area to make the bevel even & continuous (but carefully, per the instructions). The paring knife was the one that was the most beat-up, but even that only took about 20 minutes.

Now I'm chompin' at the bit to do some chopping this weekend - maybe some stew or some sort of salad?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now I'm chompin' at the bit to do some chopping this weekend - maybe some stew or some sort of salad? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif
I think I decided that I don't really like to cook as much as I love to cut things with extremely sharp blades. Its so much fun, and explains why people who claim they hate to cook usually own a knife block full of "can openers."

J - I hear ya'

It's like when I was a kid, and got into a field of tall dandelion stalks with a willow-branch "whip" - had lot's of fun whackin' them down. For some reason, it was strangely addicting - or maybe I'm just wheird
icon_rolleyes.gif
?

Back