Does hardwood briquettes=lump charcoal??

P Mata

I saw a bag at HEB that read "Mezquite hardwood briquettes". Would this be the same thing as buying lump charcoal? Or do these hardwood briquettes still have chemicals in them like the kingsford ones?

The have binders. Whether not they are chemicals per se, or simply starch binders as is used in some briquettes (like Wicked Good and Kingsford Comp), I don't know. You'd have to find out who manufactures them.

Usually if it is lump it will be printed on the bag, same thing with briquettes. Briquettes can not be lump since they are formed. Lump is natural.

Not quite the same, but close:

Think of Hardwood Briquettes as COMPRESSED lump charcoal.

LUMP CHARCOAL - Usually less dense than briquettes, because it has not been compressed. This is the "rawest" form of charcoal. If it is made from wood - the wood is simply carbonized (burned slowly in a low-oxygen environment) and the resulting charcoal is broken-up into chunks.

Lump charcoal is usually less dense and burns hotter and quicker than briquettes in most cases.

HARDWOOD BRIQUETTES: Like I said, it is essentially Lump Charcoal / Charcoal "dust" that has been compressed into briquettes. This process usually needs some sort of "binder" to hold the briqs together - some are more "natural" than others. Like Kevin said above - the better ones use a natural starch binder, which is really not so much a "chemical". This stuff should normally give you a bit longer burn time than lump in most cases.

Not all Briquettes are essentially, ALL hardwood charcoal - some contain coal dust and other fillers that are not supposed to be harmful for cooking. Burn a pile of Kinsford, then burn an equivalent pile of an all-hardwood charcoal, and then note the difference in left-over ash. The hardwood stuff will burn-down to practically nothing.

Back