Does anyone know how to fix this? Genesis and Summit cabinet door spring loaded nub

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all....I am bringing a 2007 Summit 650 back to life and I am almost finished but the cabinet doors have a little issue. On both doors the top spring loaded latch nub thing is bent which even with adjustment will not allow me to align the doors correctly. Is there a way to get at the inner piece and bend it back? Is the little screw holding the nub in place? Can I just hammer it back in place without breaking it? The only thing I can think of to do is to make a small metal plate with a hole in it to fit just the nub. I will screw the plate in over the nub trapping it to ride straight up and down......but fingers crossed u guys have a better fix for me....see pics

Attachments

• 20220624_173935.jpg
    20220624_173935.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220624_173931.jpg
    20220624_173931.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 8
Jim, is that screw holding that nub in? Can you remove it and straighten or replace what is probably a spring inside there?

I dont understand how the mechanism is held together. It seems to me that if I unscrew the screw the nub will fall into the hollow door. I am picking up a donor tomorrow and hoping that I will get a set of doors out of that grill. Once I have some back up doors I can take chances with these. I think it is just a metal tab inside the door and it can probably just be pulled up and bent back into place.

Huh.....not how I pictured the ole nub at all. I swear the door is riveted together but will have to look again to confirm. Thank you very much for the pic!!!!

Huh.....not how I pictured the ole nub at all. I swear the door is riveted together but will have to look again to confirm. Thank you very much for the pic!!!!

Summit and Genesis doors are spot welded. I have yet to
find a legitimate way to disassemble/reassemble these doors
but will certainly entertain any ideas.

The genesis doors and probably the summit have rivets at the bottom holding the trim piece. Remove the rivets and you can take off the trim piece.

Once the trim piece and handle are off you can get to work.

If you need to repair or replace the front panel it is glued to a foam square backer and is spot welded. The spot welds are very small and can be drilled out or gently popped off with a flat pry tool. The glue on the foam backer is a little tricky to free from the panel.

You should be able to access the nub assembly once the trim is off. I think in Jim’s case the door frame is tweaked and the nub is ok.

Once you have the trim piece off you can reverse the swing of the door. Comes in handy if you have 2 left doors and need a right

5ED17800-B867-48BD-9752-B91F22B3797B.jpeg

Attachments

• D79362AF-0C6B-4D08-AA7E-40F4B949DCF5.jpeg
    D79362AF-0C6B-4D08-AA7E-40F4B949DCF5.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 12
  • D1E27A64-615B-4F8B-81D2-4A2A0DCE9EE7.jpeg
    D1E27A64-615B-4F8B-81D2-4A2A0DCE9EE7.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 3DB0D985-BC27-43BF-95B2-8A958CFACF91.jpeg
    3DB0D985-BC27-43BF-95B2-8A958CFACF91.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 12
Thanks guys....it blows my mind that there is no part of a Weber grill that someone hasnt figured out. Im not going to take the doors apart. I will fabricate.......I say fabricate cause it sounds cool........I will fabricate a guide for the tweaked nubs and mount it.

For a quick and dirty solution, I imagine you could enlarge (drill out) the hole the thing fits into to accommodate the pin. Just an idea.

The genesis doors and probably the summit have rivets at the bottom holding the trim piece. Remove the rivets and you can take off the trim piece.

Once the trim piece and handle are off you can get to work.

If you need to repair or replace the front panel it is glued to a foam square backer and is spot welded. The spot welds are very small and can be drilled out or gently popped off with a flat pry tool. The glue on the foam backer is a little tricky to free from the panel.

You should be able to access the nub assembly once the trim is off. I think in Jim’s case the door frame is tweaked and the nub is ok.

Once you have the trim piece off you can reverse the swing of the door. Comes in handy if you have 2 left doors and need a right

View attachment 53790
How would you go about reassembling this without a spot welder?

The spot weld leaves an indent. The head of the rivet is hidden by the trim

This grill had a dog using the bottom corner as a fire hydrant. It rotted the door frame and frame leg. It’s copper colored so finding a replacement door would be tough. I was forced to repair the door thats when I saw how it’s constructed

32FBB58F-1D7C-478D-AC0A-63ACAD5BB66F.jpeg

Attachments

• 5C7B98D1-2741-468A-880E-5AB48C385842.jpeg
    5C7B98D1-2741-468A-880E-5AB48C385842.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 5
Agreed.....I just needed to get it done so I could get one step closer to finishing this grill. Now the only thing left is the darn IR burner.....I look forward to seeing this big ole grill being sold and getting my Summit resto patch.

Back