Do you break up the large pieces of lump before lighting?

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
I've recently switched over from blue bag K to Royal Oak lump in my kettles (still using K in the WSM). Usually there are a few large pieces of lump (4 inches long or bigger) in with the "normal" sized pieces in each chimney. I've been breaking them up into smaller pieces. Do you guys/gals do this too or is this not needed?

Personally, I don't use them for the cook. I set them aside and use them in my open pit when I cook in that.

I am pretty sure I am using RO. I think that is what the Kroger brand is. I love it! But I do get a big chunk at times, last weekend I pulled out a small log!

I usually put the big chunks down on the grate and pour burning ones out of the chimney over the top.

They can create cool spots as they burn from beneath and create a dark little heat shield above. Sometimes, if that happens, I just poke through and break them while cooking.

Seems like you are enjoying the lump. Your pictures look great!

I don't break up the large pieces but will sometimes arrange them in the kettle and them pour the hot coals over them.

On a side note which has nothing to do with this topic but thought I'd share anyway ...... I found my first rock in the bottom of the bag of RO Lump yesterday.

I break them up to allow for a tighter pack in the ring and more even burn. At least that's why I think I do it
icon_wink.gif
For grilling I don't break them up unless there's a really huge piece hogging up the space in the chimney.

If they are huge, like half a football, then I'll smack it with a hammer.

Just keep an eye out for any brown ( uncarbonized ) pcs. They give off a funky odor when lit, those get tossed into the fire pit.

Tim

Thanks for the input, guys!

@Ernie - Yeah, I'm really liking lump a lot. Not too different from K as far as the actual cooking goes but the before and after cooking part (less smoke & better smell on start up and very little leftover ash) is great!!

@John - I've found a few rocks in the very limited time I've been using lump. Almost bent the one touch system in my Performer on one. That's the only drawback I've found with lump but now that I look for it, it's not a big deal.

I'll usually just avoid them if using a smaller cooker, and in the 22" WSM I just put them in first and put the smaller stuff around. But if I'm at the end of the bag or for some other reason it makes sense to use a big piece immediately I'll give it a whack with a hammer.

I do not break up, but probably should for the reasons mentioned above (uneven cooking, etc). Depending on the brand(not in Cowboy, but yes in BBQ Galore's brand) I've found some HUGE pieces. Dang near 6 inches thick!

I don't have my WSM yet, but when I do, I'll still save the lump for grilling and use blue K for smoking.

good luck!

Back