Dissappointed in New 26" Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

I saw a 26" Kettle in a store today. I've always wanted a Ranch Kettle, but could never bring myself to spend $1,000 on it. I thought the 26" would be an acceptable compromise until I saw it.

I liked the size of it, except that the legs were very spindly and shaky. I could tell it was assembled correctly, but it wobbled easily. It looks like with the size of that Kettle, Web would have done something stronger than those little tubular legs.

Does this create a problem for any of you that have one?

Thanks.

There will be some play, and yes a little wobbly but, I seriously doubt this would jeapordize the cook or safety. Would stink to spend additional $ on better legs, but...it may be worth it. The grill is an investment that should last many years. Some steel pipe legs on the 26 would be nice. But...the average consumer would like it light weight and easy to move. For us grill addicts, it wouldnt matter..if a few extra lbs were added. Would like to hear some feedback from owners of the grill, who have used it on a reg. basis.

I saw the 26-inch kettle at the local old fashioned hardware store a few weeks ago. I snapped some pictures of it alongside a 22-inch and an 18-inch kettle. It is BIG. As for the legs, didn't notice any more play or wobble than I was accustomed to with my OTS before I restored the Performer.

If I had the bucks and were inclined to want a larger kettle, I wouldn't hesitate to spring for the 26" kettle.

In fact, I've been dreaming up scenarios where I have to have the 26" kettle and the 22" WSM make what would otherwise have been ordinary cooks into culinary art! Unfortunately, I'm not too far into the dream!

Pat

I might go ahead and get the 26" model and live with the wobble. Are there some tricks to making the legs sturdier? Steel pipe, additional braces?

Looks like steel pipe would rust, though.

Thanks.

Hi folks,

Don't know if this would help or not but how about if you got some decent sized hose clamps and clamp the area where the legs slide into, it might just tighten it a little.
The clamps I have in mind are a metal/stainless steel that has many flat holes in them and are tightened by a screw head and you can tighten up with an electric drill with a srewdriver tip or just a large screwdriver but an electric one would give you a better tightening action. Might look a bit odd with the clamps around the top of the legs under the kettle but it might reduce the wobble.
Just a suggestion
icon_smile.gif

cheers

Davo

I put a couple of self tapping screws in to hold my kettle legs on when I picked it up. It didn't do much for the wobble but when I'm cooking it just sits there and doesn't move.

Hey Pat,
Feel like posting that comparison picture? I'm not in the market for a 26", but curious. It doesn't sound like a big size difference, but everyone who has gotten hands-on mentions how huge they are.

price point is wrong IMO

26" ($450) isn't even 50% more surface area (530sq.inch) than one 22", but it's 112.5% more money than two 22" gold kettles here ($200x2), and two kettles would give you 760sq.inch

the SS grate and charcoal baskets help but I'd buy two 22" golds before I bought a 26" kettle

Right you are, Shawn. And don't forget that you can buy used 22" Weber kettles on Craigslist for 20-30 bucks. So you can get a lot of surface area really cheap. When I buy from Craigslist I usually replace the grate with a new stainless steel grate. And then I'm good to go.

Bill

Hi Folks

Yeah this is definately the way I would go, having 2x22.5inch webers OTG, in fact i almost have this set-up but one of them is an OTS and the other is a performer and i only use what i need at the time and if i need lots of cooking area, they then both get used.
This is not a criticism of Weber, but after what I've read lately with quality issues with the 26 inch and the 22 inch WSM which are wobbly and out of round and some have major paint chip issues, I'm kinda wondering if Weber rushed these products into the market without properly testing them.
I hope for Weber that this is not an ongoing trend as you'd hate to think that they'd stake their hard-earned great reputation on them.

Cheers

Davo

I saw the new 26" kettle at the local Ace Hardware. It did look quite a bit bigger next to the 22.5" and the 18" one but for the price, I would have to pass. The one touch system on the one at store would not hardly move. They must have put it together wrong. I also saw the new 22" WSM there as well. I already have too many grills as it is so no more purchases for me.

Wayne

my legs arent rock solid but i never thought of them as wobbly. once i heard in aug about the 26 it was inevitable that was going to get a one. i showed restraint waiting til after christmas to order. ive had a lot of trouble with damaged bowls from weber.4 yes f-o-u-r replacement bowls have had damage. but i would buy one again. i like the extra room. a performer off craigslist ,hopefully red, will be my next conquest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim C:
my legs arent rock solid but i never thought of them as wobbly. once i heard in aug about the 26 it was inevitable that was going to get a one. i showed restraint waiting til after christmas to order. ive had a lot of trouble with damaged bowls from weber.4 yes f-o-u-r replacement bowls have had damage. but i would buy one again. i like the extra room. a performer off craigslist ,hopefully red, will be my next conquest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying you've had damaged bowls on four various Weber products, or four damaged bowls on your 26" kettle? Either way, WOW.

By the way, I've seen some other folks mention a desire for a red Performer or Kettle. Is there a reason other than it must be a popular color? I'm not sure I've even thought of a color preference, since every one I've seen in a store has been black.

Thanks.

the original lid and bowl were damaged. the 2nd lid was pristene. each of the replacement bowls have had the finished popped off on the inside behind the welds on the handle. i think its a ups fedex thing.

here

they had to stop making red becuase of some health issues in making red porcelain. ive heard some of the red one change colors a bit when hot

i put a wrap of aluminum foil aroudn the top of the legs on my 22 inch ots as it had a slight wobble and its snug. just trimmed the excess and good to go. may have to do more if the legs are looser . hope that helps
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back