Disassemble older Performer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron B

TVWBB Member
Good Morning,

Can anyone tell me how difficult it may be to partially disassemble and older Performer. I'm picking one up over the weekend and need to fit in in the trunk of a Hyundai Sonata.

Thanks

I have an older S/S performer circa 1998. you can go tot Weber web site and download the owners manual for that grill. I downloaded the manual recently. It will have schematics for when the grill was first assembled, I believe you rnbiggest challenge may be rusty bolts. I think you will find that there a re few bolts to remove that will let you lift the kettle out. Then there should be some bolts that hold the frame together. Good luck!!!

Good luck. Take/post pics cause I've got to see this. I was in the same situation last week. How to get a SS Performer in the trunk. Ended up having my brother come by with his pickup in order to get it home. (was easier than disassembling)

I picked up my red ss performer with my camry. Bowl comes off and then frame breaks down nicely. It was nice to be able to clean it really well before I went back together with it.

Its simple, but here is a warning. I started taking mine apart to clean, then it was completely disassembled and replaced w/ all new parts. But...I love my older S/S...cany beat em.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The green s/s performer that I paid $5 for had to be taken apart. what a pain!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whaaa, Whaaa, Whimper, Whimper.
For $5 you do not have the right to whine
icon_wink.gif
Just kidding of course, cry away.

Justin,
I take it back, Quit your Whining. It's official- I hate you now.
Besides that, Outstanding score!
icon_biggrin.gif

It was a great find, I completely restored it. I took it completely apart and grinded down all the rust, then painted the whole frame with oven paint.. I replaced every screw, washer, bolt, and nut as well as the slide aside rollers, wheels and wheel caps. I repainted the tank. I got a free lid and bowl from Weber. I also bought new grates, one touch system, and had the char baskets sand blasted and chromed. Then I bought a cover from Weber, a bag of Kingsford, a few steaks, and gave it to my father for his 57th birthday yesterday. He has seen me restoring it all summer so I figured he deserves it.

Justin,
That's great. I'm happy to hear it went to a good cause. If you have some pics of the referb, post them in a new thread. (Don't want to hijack this one from Ron.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I got a free lid and bowl from Weber </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How did you manage this?

$5? Mother of God. I paid $80 for something similar. Oh well, all good deals. Mine just needs some ignitor parts (hope they're not too expensive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back