Disappointing Heath Riles Apple Rub

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
Spun my second pork tenderloin on the Genesis II last night. I rubbed yellow mustard followed by a healthy coating of Heath Riles Apple rub. Overall flavorless result. The first one I did earlier in the summer, I used the mustard and a GSP rub...far tastier. I'll give it a few more tries but the trial run was disappointing.

Attachments

• Heath-Riles-Apple-BBQ-Rub-16-oz-Seasoning_47e4eb38-676d-4f27-858e-1fc29e6b631e.29a2eb6df96a70...jpeg
    Heath-Riles-Apple-BBQ-Rub-16-oz-Seasoning_47e4eb38-676d-4f27-858e-1fc29e6b631e.29a2eb6df96a70...jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
I have not tried any of the HR rubs.....although I do have a local reliable supplier I just haven't tried any out....no interest I guess.
As I have grown in age I have found the things I like......or I tell myself that anyways.......
I have tried a bunch of different brand names and I tend to stick with what I find I like.....we can use BBQ sauce for an example.
I have a sugar based sauce that I like, it's the only one I carry at home, same goes as a vinegar sauce. But now after making a few I am really enjoying the made at home sauce and how easy it is to make variations.
Having 5 bbq sauces....15 hot sauces 20 rubs all at home takes up a lot of real estate and there is no way I need to have to take all that into consideration.......
Oakridge and Killer hogs I find pretty good for what I need it for and lately I have been experimenting with Lane's rubs and sauces and most have been worth the purchase....just my take if you were looking to try some new brands.

I have not tried any of the HR rubs.....although I do have a local reliable supplier I just haven't tried any out....no interest I guess.
As I have grown in age I have found the things I like......or I tell myself that anyways.......
I have tried a bunch of different brand names and I tend to stick with what I find I like.....we can use BBQ sauce for an example.
I have a sugar based sauce that I like, it's the only one I carry at home, same goes as a vinegar sauce. But now after making a few I am really enjoying the made at home sauce and how easy it is to make variations.
Having 5 bbq sauces....15 hot sauces 20 rubs all at home takes up a lot of real estate and there is no way I need to have to take all that into consideration.......
Oakridge and Killer hogs I find pretty good for what I need it for and lately I have been experimenting with Lane's rubs and sauces and most have been worth the purchase....just my take if you were looking to try some new brands.
I found the selection at my local Ace Hardware overwhelming. Rubs, sauces, hot sauces...dozens of each. I went with the recommendation of a guy that works there that is their resident grilling and BBQ expert.
I think I'll pick one out on my own next time!

Jay, with all the delicious RUBS, SAUCES AND SUCH recipes listed RIGHT HERE!!!!! why would you have to go looking elsewhere?

I recently purchased Heath Riles Garlic Butter & Garlic Jalapeno rubs, I am enjoying both of them!

I recently purchased Heath Riles Garlic Butter & Garlic Jalapeno rubs, I am enjoying both of them!
I have seen him use his own jalapeno rub in conjunction with another one of his rubs and cook competition ribs over at Malcom's house on one of Malcom's videos. They seem to like the cook a lot, I just probably won't ever try any of them....they run the same price as the immediate competition like killer hogs. I Enjoy killer hogs BBQ and hot BBQ as a general flavor that doesn't over flavor the cook at all but adds killer colour to the final product.....Everyone is going to have their own tricks and treats for their own cooks they find to be the best anyways so it really doesn't matter in my opinion.....some rubs really do suck though, meat church is the first thing I think of with a rub I did not like at all.

I have seen him use his own jalapeno rub in conjunction with another one of his rubs and cook competition ribs over at Malcom's house on one of Malcom's videos. They seem to like the cook a lot, I just probably won't ever try any of them....they run the same price as the immediate competition like killer hogs. I Enjoy killer hogs BBQ and hot BBQ as a general flavor that doesn't over flavor the cook at all but adds killer colour to the final product.....Everyone is going to have their own tricks and treats for their own cooks they find to be the best anyways so it really doesn't matter in my opinion.....some rubs really do suck though, meat church is the first thing I think of with a rub I did not like at all.
I too am a fan of Killer Hogs, but I do enjoy garlic & variety is the spice of life, so they say!

Back