DIGIQ DXII-Just pulled the trigger for my 22" WSM and 26.75" otg. Now what sz hole??

Tony A

TVWBB Fan
DIGIQ DXII-Just pulled the trigger for my 22" WSM and 26.75" otg. Now what sz hole??

I just ordered the Guru DigiQ DXII for my 22" WSM and 26.75" Kettle. My plan is to drill the inlet next to a vent on the WSM and somewhere out of the way of the One touch cleaning blade, but below the coal grate on the big kettle. I know the holes measure 3/4" on the kettle, but Guru says use a 7/8" to 1 1/4" hole saw? Why the difference? I have step bits UP TO 3/4" Do I need to buy the 1"?? Thanks.

Tony, I'm curious to know if you were able to drill the hole for the adapter. If you did, does it leak air at all, or is it pretty snug? Any pointers?

Tony, why drill a separate hole in your WSM? Unless there's a size difference between your DXII adapter and my DX adapter (I use it on my 22.5 WSM exclusively), there's no need to drill a hole. Just open one of the vents, mount the adapter, and plug the three remaining opened vent holes with one of these plugs available from Home Depot (I purchased a different brand at Lowe's a few years back, but couldn't seem to locate them on their website today).

Regards,

Rooster

I eneded up drilling a 1" hole, level with the top vent holes. I drilled into the bottom right of the door as I have the lamp rod mod and the CB grommet on that side. I figured it would be easier to get 2 Mavericks and the Guru on the same side of the WSM on big cooks. I also just picked up a 4' Lifetime folding table at Lowes with is the perfect size for an accessory/cook table.

Also installed one of the Guru fittings on my 26.75" kettle. The fittings came out perfect. A few things I learned. Drill at at lower RPM's. The corded drill, although variable speed, made drilling a lot harder. I switched to my cordless (12V B&D cheapo'matic), and bingo. Cut much cleaner and faster at the lower RPM's. Second thing, these fittings need to get torqued down HARD. Right when it felt like it was tight enough, there were gaps, both in the fitting side and on the downward vent side. I wrapped about 6-7 layers of painters tape around the fitting side, grabbed some hefty channel locks around the fitting, and went to town. The inside vent side will contour itself to the bowl and the fitting side will snug up airtight. I was worried I was going to snap the bolt holding the vent to the fitting, but nope. These guys are built right.

Ran a trial cook this weekend on a butt, excellent results with temp control. 225 on the nose. Toward the end of the cook I played around with the temps +/- 15-25 degrees in 5deg increments. Like an oven, the temps followed the set points within minutes. At shut down, no hot plugs or tape to deal with (which is why I drilled in the first place) . I just pulled the blower and slipped on the supplied silicone plug.

I ran the Pit Viper at 50%, bottoms shut all the way down, and the top vent at about 25-30% open. I am sold. Now I just need to see how hot this thing will run.

Thanks All,
TA

Back