DigiQ DX vs. Maverick smoker temp readings

Robert V

TVWBB Member
Just used my new DigiQ DX on my 22.5" WSM for the first time this weekend. In addition to using the pit sensor for the DX, I also decided to use my Maverick pit sensor as well. I put both sensors right next to each other during the entire cook, and I was surprised to see that the Maverick was showing a temp 12-13 degrees lower than the DigiQ DX the entire cook. Has anyone else had this happen? I thought it may be due to the DigiQ sensor being new and my Maverick sensor being almost a year old may have something to do with it.

How much sooty build-up is on the Maverick sensor? Carbon makes a pretty good insulater.

They could both be off, one high and the other low. I really wouldn't worry about the small stuff like that. Just cook and be happy.
icon_smile.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

BOB

I also did my first DigiQ DX cook this weekend.
I saw the same thing but was not too concerned because I had the Maverick probe in a different location than the DX pit probe.
I am going to connect the DX probe to the Maverick next cook to see if this helps.
BTW, I cooked some baked potatoes with my meatloaf. I used just two chunks of oak and one peach. The meatloaf was great but the potatoes were just awful! I could not get the taste out of my mouth for a full day! Some things were just not meant to be smoked.

I run a similar setup, ie....22.5 WSM with a digiq dx, Maverick remotes, all thru guru eyelets. I started with the ET-73 and it was way off of the Guru pit temp....25-30 degrees or more. I called Maverick and they sent a new unit. Same thing with this new one (and new probes) and was way off once again. Boiling water and ice slurry tests showed Guru and Maverick were both fine and in agreement. I sent Guru back for calibrations, came back with reports of being fine but once again, Guru and Maverick did not agree. I ordered an ET-732 figuring a new model may work. Same THING again.
Well, I was at witts end here. However, I finally figured this thing out. My probe wires were dangling down the outside the WSM body and making contact with the unit. Of course you cant help the probe leads touching as they go thru the eyelet, but dangling and making contact with the body was causing heat conduction thru the shielded probes.
Try to keep the probe wires off the unit as much as possible and it will agree much better.
I still notice that it takes an hour or so for both devices to agree as they come up to temp. Sooner or later they will be about the same, at least in my experiences.

Back