delmonico for lunch

Joe S.

TVWBB Super Fan
I tried this recipe that has been sitting in my favorites forever. You basically cover your whole steak with a kosher salt for like an hour and rinse off. I used non iodized sea salt not sure if that is a good replacement. They say it shouldn't taste salty. Mine tasted a little salty but very good. Very tender. Not sure I needed to do this with a delmonico. I also let it set longer than I was supposed to. Also not sure why I didn't flip steaks to other side to take pic they looked better. I was late getting back outside to flip steaks. Basically cooked on the one side.
Pizza for dinner. Pics later tonight. Here is the website for that steak.
http://steamykitchen.com/163-h...ci-prime-steaks.html

DSC04200.jpg
DSC04201.jpg

water from the salt.
DSC04207.jpg
DSC04209.jpg

DSC04210.jpg
DSC04206.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I tried this recipe that has been sitting in my favorites forever. You basically cover your whole steak with a kosher salt for like an hour and rinse off. I used non iodized sea salt not sure if that is a good replacement. They say it shouldn't taste salty. Mine tasted a little salty but very good. Very tender. Not sure I needed to do this with a delmonico. I also let it set longer than I was supposed to. Also not sure why I didn't flip steaks to other side to take pic they looked better. I was late getting back outside to flip steaks. Basically cooked on the one side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sea salt is a great choice. You want a very coarse salt, so that's probably even better than kosher. The only real difference between the two is the size of the salt granules.

And Sea salt isn't filter - so it gives a little extra flavor - I personally like the Pink. Hmmm..that doesn't sound good huh?

I add Kosher salt for prep (I don't rinse, you should try it without the rinse to see which way you like) and then during the resting period, I lightly sprinkle smoked sea salt on top of the butter and steak. That salt gives it a little extra crunch as well as flavor.

Anyway, I tried Sea salt for the prep, but I don't notice the difference between Kosher vs Sea salt on that, both are equally good.

I can't remember the last time I did steaks where I didn't do this method. I only go for 45 minutes max depending on the thickness of the steaks though. The only other seasoning I use is FCBP. Looking forward to the finished pics.

Back