Danny Gauldin's Coleslaw with Garlic

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
I just made this, and it's absolutely terrific!
One thing though...the recipe for the dressing is going to make 3 - 4 times enough, so keep that in mind.

Danny Gaulden's Coleslaw With Garlic
Servings: 8
Dressing
1 quart mayonnaise
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup French's yellow mustard
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cloves garlic -- medium size
1 squeeze fresh lemon juice
Dry Ingredients
2 small green cabbage
3 large carrots
1 small head red cabbage
1 bunch green onions
Directions:
Here's the "cole slaw with garlic" recipe that we use at the store. Have tried to reconstruct it to a
home size portion. Hope this works for you and that you will add it to your "good recipe" list.

Mix all the above dressing ingredients, except for the garlic, together in a large bowl or mixer.
Take a cup of the now made dressing and put in a blender with the garlic cloves and blend until
the garlic is pureed. Pour this portion of the dressing back into the main bowl of dressing and stir
till well blended. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 3 or 4 hours to give the dressing time
to blend flavors.

Shred green cabbage and place in separate bowl. Grate carrots, dice green onions till very fine,
and shred 1/3 to 1/2 of th red cabbage. Place each of these into a separate bowl also. Now put as
much of the prepared green cabbage as you think you will eat into a large bowl and mix the
carrots, green onions, and red cabbage, one at a time and by the hand full into the green cabbage
until the desired color is attained, and the slaw looks fairly "busy". Add dressing SLOWLY and stir.
When it is at the wetness level you want, cover and let stand in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
The colder it is kept, the better.

The garlic in this recipe is suppose to be the "secret ingredient", due to the way it was originally
intended to be used. That is, not enough of it to single it out, but if used properly, it would leave
all of your guests wondering what you had in your slaw that gave it that special, superb flavor.
When used in this respect, it can make your slaw taste like you have added a hundred great things
to it.However, if you are a garlic lover, then add as much of it as your little heart desires. I don't
have to sleep with you (ha).

Danny

I have been making this recipe for at least 4 years. Most people love it. I had a few customers that would just buy beans "hog apple beans" and Slaw Danny's. Most take a step back when they see the mustard but come running back when they try it. I can't eat slaw out after eating this. I guess that makes me a slaw snob now.
icon_biggrin.gif

It will if you don't salt the cabbage prior to draw out the moisture. Dressing is pretty thick though. I have made it a number of times and usually I mix up the dressing the day before, mix with a bag a slaw mix (this makes a enough dressing for 4 bags of slaw mix), and let sit in the fridge until chilled. I guess it would get soupy if it lasted long enough.

Gerry, how much salt do you use? Do you rinse the salt all off before using it as coleslaw? Do you press it with weight to get additional moisture out?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Gerry, how much salt do you use? Do you rinse the salt all off before using it as coleslaw? Do you press it with weight to get additional moisture out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually make the dressing the night before and mix it up an hour before eating. If I have the time I like to salt. I use this method for salting (thanks to Kevin):

Salt-wilt the vegetables: Toss the green cabbage together with the carrot, red cabbage (if using), and 1 T salt in a large colander. Put the colander in the sink (or if the sink is not available put the colander in or over a large bowl). Weight the veg mixture down by filling a gallon Ziploc almost full of water, zipping it closed and placing it on top of the vegs, or by placing a clean plate that's just large enough on the vegs and placing a weight (4-5 unopened soup cans or the like) atop the plate. Allow the veg to drain 2-3 hours. (See note.) Remove the weight, fluff the vegetables and, using paper towels (in order to gently blot them), scoop up a handful of vegs at a time and transfer them to a large bowl.

Kevin's method was based on 1 two pound head of cabbage, 2 carrots, and a wedge of red cabbage. I just use the same amount for a bag of slaw mix and cut salt out of the recipe.

In a perfect world I would always salt beforehand, but it doesn't get too soggy mixing it up and serving it right away. Since both the slaw mix and the dressing are already chilled its pretty easy. If it sits overnight without the salting step it gets soggy.

Back