craigslist score, 1995 Red Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
I got lucky today and bought a Red Performer with the SS table for $60. Its all there but needs some cleaning up and paint repair on the frame. It has the EO code on the lid. I have to go back in a day or so and get the tank as it was at the guys dad's house. It also needs the one touch sweep system replaced as two of the blades and the handle are gone. The ash catcher and ring are still there and is attached with a bar that goes across the ring. I'll post some pictures soon.

Wayne

EXCELLENT!

I picked up a 1992 model (Red) off CL last fall, cleaned it up, touched up the finish, painted the frame, replaced the one-touch - same stuff you are doing - and now it is my every day charcoal grill.

The other Webers are jealous!

Good score - enjoy!

Pat

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get working on it. I ordered some of the parts today from Weber but they don't make one of the ones I need anymore so I'm not sure what to do. The bar that holds up the ash catcher ring is no longer made. I guess I will have to figure something out.

Wayne

Gary, your Performer looks great. I don't know if mine will turn out as good. The bowl and lid have a few chips in the porcelin and the rest of the grill is pretty dirty. I spent about an hour today trying to clean the underside of the lid which was very nasty and the grease residue is very hard. I used Simple Green and a plastic scraper and got a lot of it off but its still has quite a bit left. I read your post about restoring yours after I bought mine. It was a good read.

The frame has a few areas that have rust. I'm going to sand them down and apply some rust nuetralizer that forms a primer and then paint on top of that. The whole frame really needs to be painted because its faded.

Where did you get the new SS counter? Mine is not in bad shape but not perfect either. Someone put a sticker on the lower right corner of it at some point and so far it acts like it doesn't want to come off. I have a lot of work to do to it but it will be fun.

Wayne

hey Wayne..I bought from Weber..there are two pieces, 30 bucks a piece. I had a couple small nicks in the paint, just an eye soar, but thats it. But I did get some Duplicolor high heat red paint 1200 degrees. Put several layers on..works great! Yes, a lot of work but will be fun. Sounds like you may want to repaint your frame. I know what you mean about the build up under the lid..I scrubbed w/ simple green for prob 2 hours...still can use some more. For the sticker, it will come off eventually..just keep getting it wet and scrubbing. Its a labor of love, but it will come out great

Hi Gary. I do plan on getting some red hi temp paint to paint the scratches and chips. I also plan on painting the frame because even after washing parts of it, it still looks faded. I'm going to take it all apart and go from there.

I need to take out the remains of the one touch system. Its rusted and the handle was already broken off. I'm going to try the dremel tool with the cutoff wheel to try and remove the H nut on the bottom. The wing nut on the H nut is also broke off.

Since my SS table sections are not in too bad of shape, I may try to keep them but they might not look so great after I finish painting the frame.

This grill came with the original wire charcoal holders which are in pretty good shape. It also came with a flip up cooking grate which is in very good shape. I don't know if its original or not. The charcoal grate is kind of warped but I have another one that I just recently bought

The ash catcher ring and pan are in pretty good shape but I had to order a new handle as it was pretty rusted.

I can't wait to get the new parts and finish fixing and cleaning this grill up. I need to take some before pictures of the grill before I do too much more on it.

Wayne

Hey Wayne, I got your email, and replied, but..I got an error. Its on my end, I think my cable provider is temp down. I will send when I get to my house tomight. I have your addy though...I will put bracket in the mail next week.

very jealous. i'll give craigslist until next years tax refund. if i dont find a performer by then im gonna have to buy one.

Hey Gary, thanks alot.

Tim, I got lucky. this is only the second Performer I have seen on CL in this area since last year when I started looking for one. The other one was an 2008 Performer that the guy wanted $250 for and he would not take less.

The one I just bought was listed as a "BBQ Grill" and didn't say anything about it being a Weber in the title or the description of the grill. They had even tried selling it at a garage sale the weekend before with no luck.

When I saw it, I immediately emailed the person and she called me back awhile later. I went and got it that night, driving 35 miles to get there. I didn't want to somehow miss out on it. I really like it and cannot wait to finish cleaning, painting, and repairing it.

I found a Red Kettle on CL for $75 last night but it was in a town about three hours away. It was an older one with the wooden handles. I would have bought that if it was closer. Hopefully you will be able to find one on CL. Around here, hardly any type of Weber grills come up for sale.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back