Could anyone tell me what tools I'd need to break down a SS Performer . . .

My list:
7/16" open end wrenches
Cordless impact with 7/16" socket
Large channel lock pliers
Big hammer for persuasion if necessary
Large screwdriver or pry bar for an alternate method of persuasion
PB Blaster for chemical persuasion
Contractor trash bags (x3) -- one to dump out the inevitable pile of ashgrease lurking inside the grill; one to hold the greasy ashy grates and ash bucket and one to place the bowl into to keep the residual crap from getting all over your car
Ziploc bags for the hardware

Theoretically, you could break it down with just a pair of 7/16" open end wrenches. I've found that a 7/16" socket on a cordless impact wrench can help on the lower cross bars. Also a large pliers to grip the lower cross bars to keep them from spinning.

My best advise is to thoroughly study the manual [SSP manual] to understand how it breaks down and to plan out the minimum on-site breakdown you need to get it to fit. I've gotten broken-down SSPs into a small sedan, so a hatchback should be cake.

My list:
7/16" open end wrenches
Cordless impact with 7/16" socket
Large channel lock pliers
Big hammer for persuasion if necessary
Large screwdriver or pry bar for an alternate method of persuasion
PB Blaster for chemical persuasion
Contractor trash bags (x3) -- one to dump out the inevitable pile of ashgrease lurking inside the grill; one to hold the greasy ashy grates and ash bucket and one to place the bowl into to keep the residual crap from getting all over your car
Ziploc bags for the hardware

Theoretically, you could break it down with just a pair of 7/16" open end wrenches. I've found that a 7/16" socket on a cordless impact wrench can help on the lower cross bars. Also a large pliers to grip the lower cross bars to keep them from spinning.

My best advise is to thoroughly study the manual [SSP manual] to understand how it breaks down and to plan out the minimum on-site breakdown you need to get it to fit. I've gotten broken-down SSPs into a small sedan, so a hatchback should be cake.

Man, what a comprehensive list! Thank you very much for taking the time to write that out, many helpful tips there I hadn't even considered. Yes, I have studied the manual trying to get an idea of assembly. I did see from the manual the bolts were 7/16" so I packed my cordless impact and a socket, wrenches, and a ratcheting 7/16" box wrench.

Is it possible to access/remove the upper leg bolts next to the kettle without removing the kettle? I was thinking I could keep the whole top together as one piece and just break down the leg frames and cross bars.

Find a friend with a truck, lol would be even easier.
Yeah, that's what I would usually do, but this was a last-minute acquisition.

Yes, a disassembled SS Performer will fit in the back of a MINI Cooper Hardtop (barely). Thanks again to DrewZ for your help, the grill came apart very easy, just the 7/16" on a cordless impact, I think I was lucky, but it was reassuring to be prepared and I'll save the list for next time. (Note the trash bag in the photo)!

Attachments

• MINI Performer.JPG
    MINI Performer.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 18

Back